Featured Antique brass (on marble??) rat figure on books, stamp holder?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Recent estate purchase, could see it has some age. Wasn't sure the purpose of this piece. The lidded area inside measures 2 x 1.5" across and 1" deep. Would it be for stamps?

Also do you think marble for the base? It is somewhat cool to the touch. Thanks!

rat1.jpg

rat2.jpg

rat2b.jpg

rat2c.jpg

rat2d.jpg
    Leather base is worn, what do you think the material is underneath?

rat2e.jpg

rat2f.jpg

rat2z.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with bakers, this is just too cute!!! great score Lucille:)
    here is one with a different base. They say for stamps, the one in the listing has a sloped side (or looks to in the one photo) to slide the stamps out easily. Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 5.21.57 PM.png

https://www.proantic.com/en/display.php?id=712694#

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Well found, cxgirl! :kiss: Thank you!!! Having the link is so helpful and awesome you found that. I appreciate the info!

I opened the link and held mine up to the photos. So interesting the subtle differences. The one in the link has sort of a swirl pattern on the base, mine does not. Also the book covers are a little different, and the tail of my rat curls in and around the books whereas this one hangs down. Maybe these were little finishes depending on where it was sold.

I had no idea what this was at the estate sale, but it was clearly over 100 years old and a no brainer to get it! I do like it a lot as well. Thanks for the help. :joyful::kiss::cat::singing::)

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is very nice! I don't like rats, but make an exception for this one.

Lucille.b and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted