Featured Antique bronze small pot

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wildrose, Mar 24, 2020.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Pretty beat up, and has two numbers or letters on the side. 3" tall. Might anyone be able to tell me anything about it? Thank you!!

bronze1.jpg bronze2.jpg bronze3.jpg bronze4.jpg bronze5.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes it is a lota, Indian.

4. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

thats exactly right, thank you so much!!

blooey, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous antique kalasha, wildrose.
    Uhmm, a lota is used for personal hygiene, although some people do use it for puja (...). It usually has a spout, so water goes to the right spot.:muted: Some use a plant watering can instead.

The classic puja vessel is called kalasha or kalash, and that is what I would call this beauty.

Info on the use of a lota :playful::

anundverkaufen and 2manybooks like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@wildrose If you want to sell it, describe it as an antique lota, that is what most folks looking for a piece like this these would search for.

wildrose likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Indian Pure Copper Lota Prayer Temple Pooja Kalash Item Hindu Water Storage Pot" https://www.amazon.com/Indian-Copper-Prayer-Temple-Storage/dp/B01F1X77HE

There does seem to be some variation/cross-over in the terminology. From what I was reading, "lota" was the Muslim term for a small vessel (with spout) used for personal hygiene, but the Hindus use the same term for a small vessel for "holy water". Kalash did not seem to be the most common term used when I was finding similar little pots. But I am sure @Any Jewelry has more insight.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have found that simply calling it Puja vessel or pot works perfectly. I have sold many Puja items by just using the terms Puja vessel/spoon/lamp etc. (Alternative spelling: Pooja)
    The good thing is that you don't only reach the people who are looking for Indian Puja paraphernalia, but also those from other Hindu traditions. And the many Westerners who have taken Hindu courses on Bali.

wildrose and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted