Featured Antique buttons, Whitby Jet, bullseyes eye agate, please help identify age and material

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I have these buttons that I don’t know much, I have numbered them.
    The ones that I am most interested in knowing more is number 1 , 3 ,6 and 7.
    I would like to ask if anyone can identify how old they are and material in some cases.
    1. Whitby Jet shirt buttons with seed pearls, please can you correct me if they are not shirt buttons.
    2. Satsuma button, probably ceramic. Please can you identify the style and age.
    3. Blue mosaic button, this I can’t find anything on it, any leads would be much appreciated
    4. Mosaic button, how old do you think it is? Style?
    5. Bullseye agate, no idea if they are buttons or something else.
    6. Bullseye agate something, looks like cufflinks to me
    7. Enamelled button, not sterling silver, quite large, I wonder how old and what could have been used for.
    I bought them in auction, as antique, thinking to sell some of them, now that I have seen how they look. Still learning :)
    Thank you all.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @KSW
    @Ownedbybear
    @Bronwen
    @Any Jewelry
    @Fid
    @kyratango

34337FCB-881C-4639-A7C6-0890CA621407.jpeg 70129C88-285D-4BE4-A026-074B05F2C126.jpeg FA3A2C60-62F4-4D14-84D0-81CD6765F98C.jpeg C6D365BD-3CA8-424B-9844-08B53A939869.jpeg

KSW, kyratango and judy like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

To test for Jet, rub them along a piece of white paper (Printing sheet)
    It should leave a brown mark behind.

3. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

No 1. are cufflinks, around 1870-1890, the links with the two very specific fasteners on the back existed only around this time.
    No 6. are shirt buttons, similar ones still exist today, e.g. for dress shirts/tuxedo shirts.

No. 5. could I please see more detailed pictures of the back and the fastening mechanism?

4. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, this is amazing. Can I just ask, how would number 1 the shirt buttons would close, is there something missing from the back?
    And the number 5 have a mechanism with a string attached when opening, I will take some close up photos tomorrow, they are also very interesting.
    Number 3 is also a puzzle button for me, they look very different than the mosaic I am familiar with and the blue material feels different as well.
    Thank you again.
    Will update soon.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

KSW likes this.
  5. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I agree but I would label No. 6 as "cufflinks' rather than shirt buttons. I believe that 5 & 6 are both bullseye agates. No. 6 I would guess at about 1900 - 1920. No. 5 looks like a micro-mosaic. Nice.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a fun collection! Love the initials in set #1.

Is the set #3 actually micro mosaic or pressed glass? I couldn't tell from the photo.

Figtree3 and Simona Buhus like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

There are several facebook pages for button collectors that might help as well.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  8. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

No 1. are cufflinks; the cuffs of shirts were a bit different from today's cuffs and they (as well as the collars) were in interchangable. You wore the shirt more than once and only changed the collar and the cuffs, as they usually get dirty first.
    In order to get a better look at the buttons you should take picture on a plain white sheet of paper with no direct sunlight.

9. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

I' sorry, but the buttons of No 6 are part of a dress set/shirt buttons set. In addition to a pair of cufflinks a set usually consists of 3 or 4 shirt buttons and in addition there are 2 or 3 collar buttons. It varies as shirts for a dinner jacket require 3 buttons, shirts for a dress coat/tail coat 4 buttons (and 2 or three for the collar).
    I attach a photo of a dress set (without the cufflinks in this case):
    IMG_2098.jpg

kyratango and Simona Buhus like this.
  10. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much. Indeed there were several pieces in the box, and there are few buttons as well, but that I figure them out on my own, hence I did not add them on the photo.
    No 5 and No 6 has a yellow metal seatings, and may be part of the same set, whereas the buttons (not in the photo) are sterling silver. I will post a photo for you with all of them tomorrow, it would be interesting to see if you think they are a set.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  11. Simona Buhus

Lovely, thank you, I also think that No 3 is made of another material, perhaps glass, they have much finer working, I will again take some photos of them too.
    They are very interesting, can not imagine how they may have been used. They may also be cufflinks and missing a part.
    Will post some photos of them tomorrow.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  12. Simona Buhus

Finally, had a chance to take some photos for number 5. They have a mechanism, they need to be pushed back then they open.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    A9465AF5-BDE8-4B33-A621-D2DEBE3CFD79.jpeg F38EE6E9-5A3F-45C3-818B-EC56FABCB57B.jpeg 6AB939B8-2AAE-4264-AFD1-6D90FD398798.jpeg

Figtree3 and MaJa like this.
  13. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, ai am catching up on my messages, please accept my apologies for the late reply.
    The blue buttons looks like mosaic on the front, but they may be pressed glass. They had colours that rubbed off, gold sides, red side flowers and green middle flower. I can imagine they were very beautiful.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    741D6C28-F3F5-4F9B-9440-9956D0085B75.jpeg 9A1B2B89-3961-48BB-9420-70B268C07988.jpeg 819607BB-EEE0-41DC-A398-8F1136E788DA.jpeg 53142BC9-1A8F-4618-8201-87457B2B3704.jpeg
    @MaJa

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

The blue ones are glass buttons, they were once coloured and my guess would be that they were supposed to imitate mille fiori

15. Pam Luke

Pam Luke New Member

Victorian era blue glass buttons with a four-way box shank. :)

Simona Buhus likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Missed this totally.

Those blue ones have a Neiger look.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I missed this one, too. Love #3, the blue ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted