Featured Antique Ceramic Charger/Plate - Origin and Age ???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, May 27, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I'm currently pondering whether to buy this large charger which I quite like.
    It is approximately 40cm in diameter and has two handles, so I assume that it was perhaps intended to be used as a tray.

It appears at first glance to be perhaps of oriental origin, but a closer look makes me think of (possibly) Southern European origin.
    It looks 19th century, but not later. I believe that the base is unmarked and unglazed.

I would sincerely appreciate the opinions of you experts out there - especially regarding the approximate age and origin.

Many thanks indeed !

570_-1574117142.jpg 570_-1767972070.jpg 570_2081223489.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It was likely a cabaret tray, now just the tray on it's own. Probably dating to the 3rd quarter of the 19thC. I'm not sure on origin, but possibly French. Very pretty and useful.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I love it!
    Don’t know anything about it but it’s a lovely thing.

4. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting !

As it would appear that the tray was actually part of a set (the rest of which is now missing), I must honestly admit that this has reduced it's appeal to me somewhat.
    I very much like the pattern and appreciate the work gone into the tray, but at around one hundred Euros, I think that it's a bit pricey for something that was once part of a set and furthermore, is unmarked.
    Once again - thanks for your comments, which are much appreciated !!

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted