Featured Antique Ceramic Relief Tiles?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Carol Guidry, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Carol Guidry

Carol Guidry New Member

Hi All,

I acquired these 8 tiles from an estate sale here in Canada and I believe they are early 1900’s, possibly European. They appear to have been removed from a structure. They are glazed relief ceramic and show crazing and dirt on surface. They measure 2 5/8 inches x 2 5/8 inches and are between 2/8 inches and 3/8 inches thick. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! C0FCF317-D182-4CF8-B3D8-8BAEAEBBF7A7.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're from Spain. And you may be close as to date -- turn of the century-ish -- but they're typical Spanish motifs so might be newer. Could/would you post a photograph of the back? In meantime, here are some similar for sale on a Spanish web site. The seller says they're from Triana, the neighborhood of Seville that is famous for ceramics. You can browse here for other examples and their on offer prices.

https://www.todocoleccion.net/buscador?from=top&bu=olambrillas

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 8.24.22 AM.png

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In Spanish, these would be called olambrillas which means small decorative tiles. They are used for architectural decoration. Here's a good example.

Debora

olambrilla3.jpg

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May well be. Pretty generic though. Castle = Castille, lion = León, pomegranate = Granada, eagle = imperial eagle.

Debora

Carol Guidry likes this.
  6. Carol Guidry

Carol Guidry New Member

Thank you Debora and 2manybooks, I think you have solved the mystery. Here are pics of the back, now I’m curious as to 586D7384-014A-4F17-852F-40D0BB1DACD1.jpeg A53006A2-95F4-4CA0-91D1-4EFBE885A894.jpeg what happened to the structure they were decorating, lol

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone dug them up and saved them. Too funny!

Debora

Carol Guidry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted