Featured Antique Chandelier

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Steven Turner, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

I purchased this beautiful chandelier and would love to know more info on it. Unfortunately it's being stored in another state so I cannot see if there are any markings on it. I was hoping someone might recognize it and give me info and value on it. I'm not selling it because I love it and will eventually install it in my house but for insurance purposes it would be nice to know value. Thank you
    20191015_102620.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its very hard to tell but my knee jerk reaction is a later copy of an Empire chandelier. Its lovely.Closer pics would help once you get it.

3. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

Thank you for the input. Hopefully somebody will recognize it. It was advertised as 100% antique original everything but I'm not an expert so I'm not positive.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Steven! Wouldn't "original everything" imply old wiring too? I have a couple "refurbished" ceiling fixtures circa 1915 - new wiring and sockets, but nicely refreshed metal parts. Looks "old" in style and came from a local lighting company that specializes in reclaiming antique pieces. Are you getting this from a company like that or a private party?

5. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

Thank you. I have allot to learn but love antiques especially lighting. Private party, my sister originally bought it and it isn't going to work for get and I bought it off her. The add for sure said all original, so I would assume wiring as well but I'm checking with my sister to see if she knows. I'm definitely going to get it professionally looked at when I get it.

James Conrad and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Good idea, Steven. Has you sister not hung it in her own home?

James Conrad likes this.
  7. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

She was going to but the electrician didn't give her a warm fuzzy about guaranteeing it not coming down on her grandchildren. I think he didn't want to install it because it is so heavy and that was her feeling but either way she changed her mind and I have been trying to purchase it from her since she bought it, lol.

James Conrad likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Ok. So at least the electrician didn't have a problem with the wiring at that end. ;)

9. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

True ; )

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Depending on how heavy it is, you may need a special kit that attaches to the joists in the ceiling. It has a metal bar that will screw into the joists through the hole in the ceiling. A larger metal box attaches to the bar. Those kits have a weight limit. If it exceeds the weight limit on those kits, it may require opening the ceiling and building out extra support between the joists with wood.

11. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

Thank you, I will verify all that, that would be devastating for it to fall

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

40s-50s higher end fixture. The flame shade at the top seems a bit incongruous to me but could see how it could be original.

13. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

Thank you. Any idea on value?

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value really depends on where and how sold. Similar fixtures can command good money from high end dealers once refurbished. It would probably sell at auction as-found for under $100.00. For insurance purposes, I would say around $500.00 which would be a high estimate.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  15. Steven Turner

Steven Turner New Member

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted