Featured Antique Child's Doll Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Doug Ketcher, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Hello All, I didn't see a "Toy" forum section on the site, so I figured the "Furniture" forum was as close as I could get. I recently bought this very old child's doll chest at a yard sale. Kinda sad that the small chest is in such poor shape as at one time it seemed like it was pretty nice. The domed topped chest is wood and possibly brass (?). I am guessing from the inside pics it was possibly from Europe and it even had doll clothing inside. Anyone have any idea what time frame this was manufactured and where it might have come from? Thanks for any insights!

Chest measures: 14" X 9" X 8.5" ANTIQUE DOLL CHEST - 1.jpg ANTIQUE DOLL CHEST - 3.jpg ANTIQUE DOLL CHEST - 2.jpg ANTIQUE DOLL CHEST - 5.jpg ANTIQUE DOLL CHEST - CLOTHING.jpg

Cheri, Figtree3, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It means the children loved it and played with it a lot.:)

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late 19th to very early 20th century. If found in the US, no reason to think it is not American.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I sold one similar last year for $100. Condition was better tho.

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

My exact thought, AJ!
    A Treasured Chest!

komokwa, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

So not a Salesman's Sample ?

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I never thought of that, but not to my knowledge.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. bosko69

Judy-These must've been beautiful when new.

judy and Doug Ketcher like this.
  9. Doug Ketcher

Awesome, Thanks Brad!

judy and komokwa like this.
  10. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for the insights, Judy... I thought the clothing was interesting...

komokwa likes this.
  11. Doug Ketcher

Indeed... would have like to have seen it in better condition. Looked online but couldn't find anything that looked close to it. Thanks!

12. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for the info, Judy. I looked around and couldn't find any others that even looked like this. Do you happen to have any pics of the one you sold? I would like to compare and contrast if you do. Many Thanks!

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The adult sized version is most often called a "trunk," so you might want to include that as key word in your listing, assuming you plan to sell.

judy, Doug Ketcher, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Doug Ketcher

Had no idea, excellent advice! Thanks Bakersgma!

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Doug!

I sold it at a Co-op I'm in, so I don't know if I have pictures, but I'll look. I was considering selling it on ebay, but pictured a buyer keeping mine and returning a dilapited one, as some buyers are apt to do these days.................claiming I did not describe it properly.............pictures don't count for any proof to the ebay elite.:(

16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

But, I can tell you that mine was in much much better condition.

The clothes are OK, and I would say include them. From the photo I'd say made by a home sewer.

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  17. bosko69

Judy-I'm recently retired & would love to dump my last 200 or so items on Ebay.I did great on Ebay 15 years ago (not a hitch),haven't done it since.The amounts certain pieces brought was amazing,when the subprime mortgage crash hit-things petered out and I got full time work (health insurance,etc).
    Let's just say I grew-up late !
    Selling on Craigslist,FBM & to Dealers leaves me flat. Too small a venues to make real money,or sitting around on Etsy for months ?
    Old Ebay=Good/New Ebay=Nutz ?
    PS-We have a fair amount of members who do well on Ebay.You might just enter Ebay in our search box & peruse some comments.Most of my meager hoard I picked up for pennies or free decades ago,so if someone steals my gold fob-I'll just have to 'zen-out' about it.
    Got to spend the remaining years well !

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I hear you Bosko.............I've been selling on ebay for over 20 years, and I've done extremely well. I myself have not had a problemsome buyer, but I've heard much about them. I hesitate now to list any item that could potentially bring a high price. In fact, I have not listed anything in quite a while, yet I retain a store. In the case of the trunk, I hadn't paid much for it either, and enjoyed it amongst my collection of dolls for many years. I have another one too, a different style, (flat top) doll trunk, that I plan to sell also. In all the years of selling, and it's been in excess of 40, I have only ever acquired two of these trunks, and can't remember seeing others. So, even tho I might have had a dishonest buyer with the dome top trunk, it wasn't the money that was most important, but the fact that I'd probably never own another. At least selling it in the shop, it's paid for and gone. I've been lucky with my buyers.............and I used to love selling on ebay............................

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  19. bosko69

In 40 yrs I can't recall seeing many (or any) at all-beautiful little piece.

judy and Doug Ketcher like this.
  20. Doug Ketcher

Cool! Thanks for the insights, Judy! Much Appreciated!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted