Antique Chinese ? Carved Stone Bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jakes vintage, Jun 11, 2018.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

I may have already asked about this but I not 100% sure I have. So if I had I apologise in advance. While digging out the garage for a sake we have coming up to help clear out the clutter I came across this at one carved bowl. What is like to know is it old? What kind of stone could it be? Soapstone? Is it too damaged to even worry about. Thanks for your help all of you. Even if it' junk thank you none the less.. measurements are 8" long x 6.5" wide x 2" tall[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is it supposed to be a sort of a turtle......sort of???? The one on ebay kind of looked the same.......

Depends what you're going to do with it.....if I were going to keep it, I'd probably put a gentle Dremel tool on it to smooth out the bigger chip, then use it! That's just me though.....:jimlad:

5. jakes vintage

Thank you guys I appreciate it so much!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

The shape is that of a lotus leaf.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

AJ - to you, that's a lotus leaf. To me, it looks as if someone turned the turtle on its back, and stomped!

I prefer your version, but...

Ah, poor turtle!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you Silver!! At least I'm not the ONLY one that thought it looked like a turtle:rolleyes::rolleyes:

silverthwait and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Jakes, I just did a couple of searches for ink stone turtles (I think this is the name AJ was think of) but nothing even close. Most ink stones are fairly flat or at least only slightly curved to prevent the water and wet ink running off as the solid ink stick dissolved. Yours just seems too deep. Also, I just don't see a lotus flower but the tail looks bird-like to me as though it is carrying the tray on its back. Another search for this and similar results to turtle. Could it be a brush washer? The edges could hold brushes or even chopsticks, assuming this is Asian. Could it be a food bowl? I am always interested in why artists carved designs on the base of an item as in this case. Why would the base be seen, so I wonder how this was really used. Sorry I'm not more help this morning. Now where is the coffee??;)

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I had seen one called Scholars Brush Wash.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

"Scholars" objects are very collectible if you can establish provenance and they are good quality. I have seen some stunning scholars rocks that are truely inspiring.

13. jakes vintage

Yeah it' just a thrift store find there' no way I could establish provenance but thank you for adding to the results I really appreciate it!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Sorry Jake, we drifted off topic, weren’t discussing your piece per say. Just speculating as to use. :sorry:

Christmasjoy and AuDragon like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

That was the word I was looking for. It could be perceived as scholar style if someone really, really wants to, but it is not of the quality normally associated with scholar style.
    The scholar style is nature inspired, to soothe the scholar's mind so he can think brilliant and elevated thoughts.
    I so need that, a soothing environment for brilliant and elevated thoughts.:inpain:

16. Sarah lenton

Sarah lenton New Member

I have one the same but I’ve been told it’s jade??its a Chinese brush washer possibly Qing dynasty

Attached Files:

17. Any Jewelry

Welcome, Sarah.
    Yes, it is the same style, but different.;) It looks like it could be antique jade. It is very nice.
    [​IMG]

judy and i need help like this.
  18. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

this is very common soapstone brush washer, worth $20. it is called 寿山石 or 青田石 SHOU SHAN SHI in China. not a jade of any kind. soapstone is soft and can be scratched with a coin. jade is hard and cannot be scratched by coin

19. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

but, stomped on...!

20. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

This might have an age around 100 years, however, antique soapstone items have a bad market in China because today's top Chinese soapstone carvers intentionally guided the market to favor their newly carved fine art figurines of super high prices. Those newly carved items are often as small as an egg but in very very fine details. They do it by fake-buying each other's carvings in gallery and auctions to push price high.

Draft saved Draft deleted