Featured Antique Chinese large cloisonne or enamel lidded footed round canister, what to call this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What would this form be called? I've been researching but can't find similar.

It has three feet on the base, and is 8" across, 7.5" high.

The lid has extreme damage, the piece was very inexpensive due to this. The bottom is in very good condition. Base metal seems to be brass (copper?). Under lid there is a square nut holding the handle on.

Thanks for taking a look.

Edit: The outdoor photo looking down into the piece sort makes the inside metal edge look much lighter than it is. Just had to much reflected light.

ch1b.jpg ch5.jpg ch5b.jpg ch6.jpg ch7.jpg ch8.jpg ch88.jpg ch9.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Ginger jar?

3. Lucille.b

Thanks. It is sort of bigger than what I usually think of as a ginger jar, but maybe that is it.

Googled "cloisonne enamel ginger jar", most are did not have feet. Had to scroll down quite a bit until I found a footed one.

That one was Japanese (only 5" tall) but had some similarities. I wonder if this is Japanese, not Chinese?

Thanks, Rhiwfield.

4. Lucille.b

5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Maybe you could search for cloisonne ball jar, sphere jar, spherical jar, globe jar, globular etc.... ?
    My first thought was Japanese too. But honestly, I don't know for sure.
    [​IMG]
    Is that supposed to be a Phoenix Bird? That might help with searches too.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

good tip using spherical, I found several on pinterest. Some have holes in the lids and are called incense burners, the ones without holes are called jars. None of them go anywhere, no sizes were given, all say the same time period. I'll keep looking and see what else is out there
    Here is one without holes on the top. This is the write-up for it
    Spherical Jar with Puppies This spherical-shaped jar has three legs and a cover. It depicts three puppies playing amid bamboo beneath a garden water spout on a pale blue ground. Namikawa Sosuke (Japanese, 1847-1910) (Enameler) 1890-1895 (Meiji)
    here is the pinterest link https://www.pinterest.com/pin/338966309429725308/ f2b8c3bc4460d5733734eeaec269d452.jpg

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

8. rhiwfield

9. Lucille.b

OMG, Cx, that is it! Same handle, same size exactly. Thank you. :):):)

Of course mine has damage on the top, but base is really good, definitely worth listing, maybe start at $99? This gives me a nice comparison.

Excellent observation on that possible phoenix bird, Lauragarnet. :chicken: I was just looking at the whole piece as a bunch of random patterns. Will look into that. Thanks!

And also noticed the seller's terms on that last link. Wowza. :wideyed: Any challenges in verification need to be made on letterhead from an auction house in 48 hours or returns are not allowed? Heavens!

kyratango, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  10. rhiwfield

It may be worth doing a bit more research to confirm the age and attribution.

I feel it probably is late 19th century/early 20th but I would not claim that based on that sellers description.

kyratango, judy, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Agreed. Will continue to research. Thanks.

It feels like it could be that old in the hand, the couple I've seen (spherical with 3 feet, some in different sizes) are all giving that date range, but will keep looking now that I have some key words.

kyratango, judy, rhiwfield and 2 others like this.
  12. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

What's the base metal. I was informed once that copper base is generally older than cloisonné on brass. I find that much of this stuff dates to the turn of the 20th c.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Good question, Kent.

I think the base metal is copper.

KentWhirled likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted