Antique Chinese Lidded Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 15Stiftgasse, Sep 14, 2020.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello folks !

I recently acquired a Chinese lidded box, made from either silver or silver-coloured metal. The base appears to be of copper, which was soldered to the rest of the body. The box is quite solid and well-made, measuring approx. 8 x 5 cm.
    The lid bears hand carved inscriptions, which according to my limited research are messages of good luck for successful candidation of the Imperial Examinations in Yongping. The interior is fairly rough, though, not sure why - perhaps there was originally some sort of lining (?).
    The base still bears part of a red export seal and a paper label which was possibly applied by the Chinese authorities.
    I can only assume that the box was given as a present to a candidate for the Imperial Examinations, but cannot be sure.

Has anyone seen similar boxes, or perhaps able to give more information about this type of box?
    Also, can anyone please translate the (modern) Chinese script on the paper label ? - at least it might shed a little more light on the item.

Many. many thanks for any contributions whatsoever !!!!

Peter P1020926.JPG P1020927.JPG P1020930.JPG P1020935.JPG P1020933.JPG P1020934.JPG

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Paktong ink box, Ching, some are valuable

3. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Many thanks for your speedy reply, blooey. Your obvious expertise is much appreciated !!

blooey and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted