Antique Chinese Porcelain Twin-Snuff Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by R. Antonis, Jan 1, 2018.

1. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!!

I would like to know if anybody could tell me more about this:

*Chinese
    *Twin Snuff Bottle
    *Handpainted
    *Porcelain
    *Red Dragon

I'm not sure how old it is. It's not signed.
    Dimensions are unknown, since I still wait for them to arrive.

:)

Thanks in advance!

R. Antonis

(Excuse for me bad photo shopping)
    $_86.JPG $_86 (1).JPG $_86 (2).JPG $_86 (3).JPG $_86 (4).JPG $_86 (6).JPG $_86 (7).JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

R., those nibbled photos are a bit scary and mostly out of focus, I'm really looking forward to your more professional photos.;)
    The stopper tops look early 20th century.

3. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

I was hoping it would be older. I don't believe I ever bought porcelain before, knowing it would be like gambling to me

kyratango and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Spoons/stoppers tend to go missing. Newer spoons can be put on older pieces. Some collectors leave bottles that have lost their spoons/stoppers as the are, others, like myself, prefer to find a matching stopper. That may be from another period. I have a dwindling stash of nicely carved coral stoppers from the 1950s, for use on antique bottles. Of course, if and when I ever sell them, I will mention that.
    So far your twin bottle doesn't look antique, but let's wait for better pictures. Have you checked ebay for similar ones?

kyratango, Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. kaja

kaja Member

The tops look new. I buy them for bottles that have no tops, mostly because I think they compliment the colors and designs. The bottles look like one I have, and have been told it was modern. Mine is not a double, however.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers snuff bottles with tops.:)
    Where do you buy those Peking glass topped spoons? I can only find stone topped ones, jade, coral, quartz, etc. Or cloisonné. Nice Peking glass would go very well with some of my snuff bottles.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. kaja

kaja Member

Ebay. I browse, searching for spoons and caps. Most of the time they are sold out of China in bulk, and it is comical that dealers do not let customers choose the colors they want. The colors and sizes are often sent at random. I have been lucky and have been able to use most. The ones I cannot use for my snuff bottles, I have used in other projects/crafts. Sometimes I find unusual spoons, and those are expensive, but great to pair up with an exceptional bottle.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's getting into my turf. Would love to see.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I've got many snuff bottles that are close to your turf, I collect mainly carved stone ones, jade, lapis, agate, fluorite, etc.
    Also Peking glass overlay, handcarved, of course.
    This is one that is in our shop right now, most of the others are carved with dragons for some reason......:singing:;).
    upload_2018-1-2_20-50-59.jpeg

kyratango and dgbjwc like this.
  10. Bronwen

That qualifies as a cameo, just not usually described that way. I know I would adore your snuff bottles. I'm a sucker for little carved things. :joyful:

kyratango and kaja like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I'll see if I can take some photos. Maybe @kaja wants to do the same, we can make a separate 'cameo snuff bottle' thread.:happy:
    Jeez, I had no idea.:hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  12. kaja

kaja Member

Showing my snuff. Here is one bottle. A Christmas gift. If we start a thread, I will post photos, however, I am not a high-end collector. I buy what is pretty, stone bottles because I'm fascinated by rocks, and artwork I like. Any genuine antiques that have found their way into my collection was purely accidental.

kyratango likes this.
  13. kaja

kaja Member

Here is the photo. Messed up.

Attached Files:

14. Bronwen

I know. I hide it well. NOT! :joyful:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Oh, I do like this one, the way it captures the shimmering translucency of the koi. Beautiful!

kyratango likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Love it @kaja . I will be starting a carved bottle thread today, so if you'd like to share more?
    Not really restricted to carved, but it is a start, and I got the idea from 'Cameo Bronwen'.
    Sorry Bronwen, made that sound like 'Wanted: Cameo Bronwen'.:sorry:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  17. Bronwen

It's nice to feel wanted, but just took it at face value, that the cameo thread made one for snuff bottles seem like a good idea too. I'm going to love seeing them. :happy:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. kaja

kaja Member

Thank you. Being a gift, I love it all the more.

19. kaja

kaja Member

I'm getting out my camera.

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted