Antique Chinese teapot. Or is it English? Need help with mark please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by benbenny007, Sep 19, 2018.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Got this teapot which I bought like Chinese export, but I think its English. I tried to research this but can not find these two marks? Thought its maybe Sitzendorf, but after more research I think its not because of the style and fat lines.

Is one mark the factory mark and the other one under the lid the makers mark?

Sorry for the pictures, not sure if the marks are the right way up or down.

Any ideas? Or doe somebody here maybe have the books?

Any info is welcome thx.

20180919_150741(1).jpg 20180919_150759(1).jpg 20180919_150811(1).jpg 20180919_150828(1).jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Majolica and with that pink, I think it's English.

benbenny007, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9E6252A8-38A3-4F3E-BE1E-536773825544.jpeg That teapot can be seen here. Article states little is known about early marks. Maybe you can reasearch further. It does reference a book. Or maybe someone could say if they think it’s likely to be a copy of his work.
    http://majolicasociety.com/thomas-forester/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    kentworld, SBSVC, benbenny007 and 2 others like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

why would they mark with a sloppy cross of Lorraine ?

benbenny007 and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

For the same reason some early china was signed with fake Chinese marks here?

scoutshouse, Fid and benbenny007 like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

My gosh... I what charming work! Thanks for sharing this, @benbenny007

[​IMG]

benbenny007 and i need help like this.
  7. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Nice detective work FKA, I'm impressed. I think we never will find out. Not so sure if they would copy this artist. His works do not have that high values. I quote the website

''Very little of Forester’s early majolica output was marked. Later pieces may bear an impressed mark ‘FORESTER ENGLAND’ or printed mark T.F.&S. Little documentation of the firm’s designs exists and most of our knowledge is based on illustrated advertisements in the Pottery Gazette. No doubt many pieces of unattributed English majolica are in fact the products of Thomas Forester and the Phoenix Works.''

8. i need help

I really don’t know, maybe someone more familiar might be able to judge if it’s a possibility based on quality of work. But I guess not likely to know for sure.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There's a Facebook page called British Pottery and Porcelain. Very knowledgable group.

10. i need help

benbenny007 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted