Antique Chinese tile with receipt from Macau, China + Sleeping deco/roaring 20's(?) beauty painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 21, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found the antique tile at a local thrift store yesterday. It still has the receipt taped to the back of it that says it's porcelain tile painted with Chinese characters over 100 years and from Ching(?) Dynesty and cost $2,000 HKD (Hong Kong dollars). But what's unusual - unless buyer was making payments - the receipt on top says 1999 but the American Express receipt stapled to the back from same store is dated 2001?
    How old is it?
    I haven't heard of Ching Dynesty so I imagine the Chinese store keeper's english translating is perfect? When is it from?
    There is writing on the lower left corner; can anyone tell what it says?
    If I did my calculations right when a U.S. $1 = $7.75 HK dollars I figured it sold for about U.S. $250 - is it worth that much, or was it made for a tourist like my guy on the receipt?
    Any thoughts would be very helpful & appreciated.

The 2nd piece is a painting that looks like a lady from the roaring 20's sleeping! To me it's pretty & well done - but I can't find anything under an artist with the name Cy Rosack; am I reading the signature wrong?

Thank you for any help; it is appreciated!

ART TILE CHINESE PAINTED 1AA.JPG ART TILE CHINESE PAINTED 2AA.JPG ART TILE CHINESE PAINTED 4AA.JPG

ART TILE CHINESE PAINTED 5AA.JPG ART TILE CHINESE PAINTED 6AA.JPG ART TILE CHINESE PAINTED 7AA.JPG

ART PAINTING SLEEPING LADY DECO ERA LOOKING 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING SLEEPING LADY DECO ERA LOOKING 5AA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The second piece is a copy of or inspired by Tamara de Lempicka.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, here it is. 'Sleeping Woman.' 1935.

Debora

sleeping-woman-1935.jpg!Large.jpeg

Potteryplease, Boland and Lucille.b like this.
  4. journeymagazine

At least I'm picking good copies!

charlie cheswick and Debora like this.
  5. journeymagazine

can anyone tell me about the tile or what it says? I found this: CHING DYNASTY.. Ceramic 1865--1875- CERTIFICATE OF ANTIQUITY | eBay

And this when I googled Ching Dynasty porcelain tile: TWO ANTIQUE CHINESE PORCELAIN TILES - Mar 21, 2012 | I.M. Chait Gallery/Auctioneers in NY (liveauctioneers.com)

1 of the above 2 above that sold for $9,000 has a stamp while the 2nd tile + the one on eBay have no marks - could the writing on mine be the artist and/or date? Or just a description of the scene?

For a value of $1,000 - $9,000 what can I do to verify its age? Is receipt with description enough?

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Can only see a small pic of the liveauctioneers one, and that one looks right

Yours and the eBay one are very doubtful, they just don't look right at all

EBay one has the same frame, (whats on the back looks absolute waffle)mentions bought in 1970s. I reckon that's when they were made

Perhaps @Ce BCA

Wouldn't mind taking a look

Ce BCA and judy like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

By Ching they mean Qing, there are also other spelling interpretations, Ching is just the phonetic for the now accepted Qing. I think this is a little later though, from the loose colouring over the ground lines it's likely an inter-war period example. Plaques like this are most common from the 1920's-30's and you find erotic examples too. Sometimes they come in sets telling a story, there are wedding sets, and those with poems or telling of a legend. The framing looks like it's probably a bit later, perhaps 60's or 70's

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The receipt is from Macau, not HK. It's Mastercard, not Amex, too.

It does look very typical of tourist pieces.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Thanks - I thought it was pretty clean & shiny!

PS - by Hong Kong I think I meant the dollars it was paid for with not where it was bought. The Mastercard...I don't know what I was thinking!
    Thanks again to all, for all your help & info.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was searching for one of my own tile posts and saw this older one. Just wanted to say what’s basically been said. The colors are all wrong for something Chinese with real age. I’ve been wanting to learn more about Chinese antiques and porcelain in general. I found a guy in YouTube who has been an incredible resource for this. Name is Peter Coombs out of Gloucester, MA. He’s an Asian art enthusiast and dealer. He has hundreds and hundreds if videos on YouTube and maintains a website. He talks extensively about Chinese porcelain and shows many authentic examples. Also shows lots of fakes or modern repros. One of the big things he often talks about is colors used and what’s right for what period. These colors aren’t right for any period other than quite modern. Still a nice piece but definitely not too old from what I can tell. I’ve watched dozens of his videos and highly recommend them for anyone interested in Asian art, particularly Chinese porcelain. I can’t stand 99.7% of YouTube antique people but he is very good and enjoyable to watch/listen to I think.

11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sounds interesting. Will check it out.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted