Antique Clock Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ANDREW COLAIACOMO, May 30, 2019.

1. ANDREW COLAIACOMO

ANDREW COLAIACOMO New Member

Hello all, I was recently given this antique Seth Thomas clock and have never seen one like it before. I am not sure if it has been repaired or had any additions. Any information of the possible price, year, or anything else would be appreciated. I have uploaded pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Andrew! I see that the pendulum is loose inside. Does the case only open from the front and not the back? Do you have the keys?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. ANDREW COLAIACOMO

ANDREW COLAIACOMO New Member

Hello, yes the case only opens form the front. I have the tool for winding it and it does run.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Does it chime or strike the hour? I've never seen one so thin (front to back dimension) much less one of this general age that does not open from the back.

Perhaps @afantiques , our resident clock guru will have commentary. But he's in the UK so it will be a while before he's back online.

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It looks right. These Connecticut shelf clocks all opened from the front like this. You can research when made from the label - address and other info gives clues you can find online or in books. I’m surprised by the brass movement. Their early clocks had wood movements but these are sometimes replaced with later brass movements, so you’ll have to research it to know whether it’s original (probably is given label about brass clocks).

Condition is kind of rough, repaired and missing veneer, maybe repainted columns, worn face and maybe replaced but in any case worn glass, if movement is replaced that kills a lot of value. In summary, you’ll need to research to find out how much is original, and whether you can get it working. These were one of the first pieces of tech equipment that every family had to have and could afford so there are a lot of early to mid 19th century clocks out there, so condition and original parts are important to value today.

Here’s the similar clock in better shape with wood movement: https://www.schmitt-horan.com/searc...rt_by=date&show_thumbnails=true&Submit=Submit
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    aaroncab and i need help like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The post above pretty well says it all.
    Search for an ogee weight (30 hour) to replace your missing weight or boil up some lead and cast one yourself or cobble one up some other
    way.

The picture of the label is not clear enough to read, if it says 'Thomaston' it is relatively late.

Draft saved Draft deleted