Featured Antique Collection Found Help With Storage Chests Needed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by antikka, Jan 10, 2016.

1. antikka

antikka New Member

Thanks for letting me join the forum!

Ive recently come across a hoard of antique items including church pieces, storage chests, vestibules and decorative wall pieces etc.

I was however hoping that someone could help with a couple of storage chests and their history and age. Ive included some pictures, which I hope is ok.

Thanks and will look forward to any comments offered.

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Both items appear to be 17th or early 18th C. Hard to tell if they actually are from the pictures.

Great age does not equal great value in these things as they are well nigh indestructable.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. antikka

antikka New Member

Yes I guess they have to either extremely nice or have proof that were used to store gold on a pirates ship to hold any great value, thanks for your input again Afantiques!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BOTH of those chests are extremely intriguing and DO appear very old as 'af' said! Wish I could add more! Better yet.....wish the chests could talk themselves.... hopefully someone might come along with more to offer???

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id be all over that second one as a coffee table !

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It amazes me that you can buy 17th C chests here for a few hundred quid.

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I've heard this compartment called a "till" as well. Does it have a hidden area beneath?

Ladybranch likes this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Big one may be older, the hardware I see on it all looks hand-forged. Short one looks to have store-bought hinges on lid so may be younger. I really like the big one, great patina all over, good cond., let me know if you put it up for sale.

10. afantiques

Yes, I have one on the landing that serves to hold the Christmas junk, C. 1700, run of the mill example, cost less than £200. They are like a species without predators, nothing except disasters like house fires seems to happen to them, so I think there are enough originals that were once in every home above a hovel to supply the limited number of present day buyers who fancy a oldish chest and have room for one.

Jen and George likes this.
  11. afantiques

PS For really cheap, try 18th C brass candlesticks.

12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

You're right. Baker! I knew those compartments were originally used for holding candles and/or small valuable items, but forgot their actual name. Wonder if the name "till" in these chests came from what cash boxes are referred to or did cash boxes get their nickname from these compartments?

--- Susan

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Both very old and European in origin. I would think Germanic/Scandinavian. The first one is what we here in the states would call an immigrant's trunk. I imagine in European houses they served to house valuables, linens, and keepsakes. Maybe even as dowry chests?

The second one seems to have been modified quite a bit. It looks like it was probably cut down from a taller chest since you can see missing segments of vertical strap-work along the top edge. The top may be a replacement or at the very least modified. As mentioned, those hinges are too new and I would think this should have opened all in one piece originally. You can also see on the inside the "ghosts" of some previous attachments to the wood that don't fit in with the entire scheme of the trunk.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

af, there were a pair of 18th C sticks on one of the daytime antique shows last week. Sold for a tenner. So yes, point taken. ;)

I rather wish I'd room for a five plank chest, they've a wonderful honesty to them. I do have a repro one, bought by my parents in the 50s. I'm rather fond of it.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Haven't heard the term 5 plank chest in ages. Agree that there is certainly some appeal to them and no dispute as to age. Have fished quite a few from barns over the years.

Draft saved Draft deleted