Antique Curved Curio Cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniele Souza, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Daniele Souza

Daniele Souza New Member

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

patd8643, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Daniele, and welcome!

We had a discussion on here about a "fancier" - and older - Ebert curved curio cabinet a while back:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/eberts-china-closet.24943/

Yours is not as old as the one shown there. Ebert opened its Red Lion factory in 1917, so it likely can't be older than that.

Also, is the curved glass missing on the right hand side? It rather looks that way in your photos(?) If so, I'd say you might as well refinish as you please, as replacing that glass undoubtedly would cost far more than the piece is worth.

I saw a few "similar" pieces online... This one sold for $136 a couple of years ago (with all glass intact)
    ebert curved cabinet.jpg
    https://www.ebth.com/items/5681529-antique-bow-front-china-cabinet-by-the-ebert-furniture-company

and this one sold in 2014 for $175, again, with glass intact:
    ebert curved cabinet 2.jpg
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/23877492_pa-ebert-furniture-co-curved-side-oak-china

The prices of similar furniture have only gone DOWN of late, so - at least the way I see it - you wouldn't be hurting the value of the piece doing anything you want with it.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Good answer SVSBC! That covers it pretty well. I hate the idea of painting hardwood, but can't argue too much with SV's opinion.

Joe2007 and SBSVC like this.
  5. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not that this really helps but I have a curved glass cabinet, very similar in design, found at a thrift a few years ago. Someone had replaced the curved glass with a piece of thin plexiglass. It is flexible enough to bend into the curve. Not as good as glass but not especially noticeable. I think the cabinet was under $50 and good enough for what we needed. (though really we just needed a cabinet that size.)

judy and PortableTreasures like this.
  7. necollectors

lol....A standard Dachshund! Love my Weinerhund!

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. kristiaan

ok sorry ! thought it was a RR

judy likes this.
  9. necollectors

I can see how you would think she was an RR, Here she is with my daughters RR+Cur…. IMG_20180113_134831_246 (4).jpg

10. kristiaan

Nice pic!

judy and kyratango like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh boy, they have indeed. My grandmother had one similar to one below, glass shelves with mirror in the back. When she passed 30 years ago there was a HUGE fuss among the girls in my family about who was getting the curio cab. Some of them are still sore over the "incident" & many didn't talk for a long time afterwards, women! :rolleyes:
    One is selling here this weekend, similar to my granny's although this one is labeled RJ Horner.
    With one day to go before sale, this one is up to a whole $175.
    All that family fuss & bad feelings years ago for what is now worth chump change, WOMEN?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    https://www.lelandlittle.com/items/355801/labeled-r-j-horner-co-carved-oak-bowfront-china-cabinet/?ref={"name":"New+Year's+Weekend+Gallery+Auction","url":"\/auction\/new-year-s-weekend-gallery-auction\/29243\/"}

355801_1r2.jpg

Ghopper1924, judy and komokwa like this.
  12. James Conrad

The Horner cab above sold for $375. on 10 bids, I am guessing the Horner label helped it but, still not exactly a big number.
    I can remember a time when good & better examples of these curio cabs sold in the low thousands, those days are obviously gone.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

What James said. Just another sad example of a top-quality piece going for peanuts.

:(

James Conrad likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have one I paid about $600 for about 25 years ago. I know it isn't worth that now but I don't care since it is happily holding goodies in my dining area :)

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  15. James Conrad

Yep! agrees, my grandmother had hers filled with "Do-Dads" as well which these cabs are perfect for. It doesn't matter if it's the latest style/fad at the moment, sooner or later it will be again!
    What's important is to have interesting things to live with.

SBSVC and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted