Antique Dagger ID?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Keir97, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Keir97

Keir97 New Member

IMG_20220411_123515943.jpg IMG_20220411_123500483.jpg IMG_20220411_123536177.jpg IMG_20220411_123545816_HDR.jpg IMG_20220411_123515943.jpg IMG_20220411_123630823.jpg Hi All,

New here but whilst trying to find out what this was I came across these forums!

I picked this up the other day and was wondering if there was any info anyone could tell me about it.

Guy who sold it to me said he had no idea where it was from but thought it was Syrian. Unlikely as is has "India" printed on the side!

Anyway I was pretty cheap so bought it and won't be bothered if it's some modern day touristy thing. Any info? Are these pictures enough, please tell me if you need any other angles.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2022
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yup, that's a touristy thing alright....but not one you come across often ....

inlayed horn handle......dot design decoration.....& looks like a plated blade...

but the sequinned sheath ( fabric ) ..the don't always last with the blade, so that's a nice touch,,;):wideyed:

I'd say 1980.s......could be earlier though..............but really would need more research ....

it is though....a nice pairing !!!!:happy:

Boland likes this.
  3. Keir97

Keir97 New Member

Thank you very much!

So it is touristy but maybe not a mass produced thing?

I do really like it, might hang it up somewhere!

As a side note, where do all of you people learn to ID these features? Just experience? I have been going though other forums and am amazed at the knowledge!

Born2it and Potteryplease like this.
  4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

One of the reasons we hang around the periphery here is the one-in-ten-billion chance someone shows or asks about some rare old thing we have or once had.

A very similar knife-and-scabbard -- scabbard green velvet or velour, gold-embroidered and sequined, knife blade wider, more ornately engraved/decorated, and hilt sturdier -- was given to our folks in the 1960s, age and origin story both now lost, then stolen from a wall display by a teenaged dogsitter in the '70s. Always wondered where it wound up...

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

other forums????:stop::stop:
    there are no other forums......only us...only here !!!!;)

the longer u stick around...the more you'll get that !! :playful::playful::playful::playful:

where we learn??
    books, catalogs...passions and time and hard work !!!!!:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

and for now...it's all free here !!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Born2it, BoudiccaJones and Firemandk like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted