Featured Antique Diamond Ring - Help with Vintage and Origin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MerRhosyn, Apr 10, 2018.

1. MerRhosyn

MerRhosyn New Member

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180410190329964_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180410190329964_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180410190318240_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180410191737545_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180410190253178_COVER.jpg New to this forum, but have been trying to locate some subject matter experts that might know more about this delightful little ring of mine. I picked it up several years ago at an antique store in the UK. It has no obvious marking or stamp. My suspicion is that the band is "newer" and that perhaps the centerpiece was originally flat - maybe a pin?
    Would appreciate any help you can provide!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Can you go back and edit your photos to "Full size". Thanks!

Mugzinnys, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. MerRhosyn

MerRhosyn New Member

Done, I think! Thank you!

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Greetings. The ring looks like very new costume. When a shank is square like that, it's generally either an amateur sterling ring or costume. The construction looks like costume too, and the center stone doesn't really look like a diamond. I'd have it checked for metal content.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. MerRhosyn

MerRhosyn New Member

Thanks - will stop by my local jeweler and check.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely ring. It was meant to be this way, not a marriage. The ring and the winged stone are the same age.
    I agree with evelyb, not old, possibly silver. Gold and diamond highly unlikely. It may have a lot of siblings.

Mugzinnys, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  7. MerRhosyn

MerRhosyn New Member

Thanks for your thoughts!

I stopped by my local jeweler today - they used a hardness tester in front of me and said the result was consistent with the stone being a diamond. The shop assistant chatted with the goldsmith in the back who suspected it might be 10k white gold. When I looked at it under a microscope earlier in the week, I could certainly see regions of removed plating, as if it had possibly been rhodium-dipped at some point in time.

Not sure if this still sounds suspect, just wanted to circle back with the group.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The vast majority of any karat white gold has been rhodium plated for well over 60 years.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yay !!!!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted