Featured Antique Dollhouse

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Artvandalay, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

Is there any dollhouse collectors builders out there.

I came across this very large dollhouse today and I’m in love with it. I’m currently building a newer kit dollhouse and enjoying it. So when I found this I just loved it. It’s about 6’ length & 4’ height. The front panels slide out to gain access to the inside. Needs work, cleaning, etc. I was told it’s was purchased and shipped from an England Gallery back in the 90’s. Told it’s from the early 1900s. What is something like this worth, should it be restored ( paint, wallpaper, etc.. ) or just cleaned and appreciated. I just don’t want to buy this and do something that will hurt the value / resale.

0A65D2C6-CE58-419F-A9BC-637EF662A293.jpeg 4ACE7BF8-D2C0-42AE-AB49-F89F21BF482B.jpeg 5EE5C7D5-BFE4-4DDF-9146-376E4FBEEC19.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Fabulous ! Ill have to post some pics of my dollhouses ! It certainly could be from 1900,possibly a little older.But its hard to tell from your pics. if you buy it,buy it to restore and enjoy. Dollhouses are a hobby you never ever get your money back on.

3. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

Restoring it was my plan. Is this common to have something this big and with the front walls slide open? It’s amazing what people do with these house!!!! Is there something I should look for and avoid in buying something this old??

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Is it haunted? Did some punk-ass teenage dolls toss molotovs through the windows?

Awwww...shucks.

johnnycb09 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

Restoring it was my plan. Is this common to have something this big and with the front walls slide open? It’s amazing what people do with these house!!!! Is there something I should look for and avoid in buying something this old??

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    if intended for resale, don't start to tinker around.
    if intended as a keeper, better inform yourself before tearing out wallpaper, carpets etc. because those are the cue to age and origin.
    IMO it would sell for 300 - 400 $ in Central Europe.
    is there furniture around ?

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Art. I agree with Johnny, it could be a little before 1900.
    And I agree with Fid, don't mess with the original fittings. I would do a little restoration on the windows, for instance.
    For the rest, just dress it nicely with period furniture and knicknacks, maybe dolls in period dress. It will be a nice project, and probably a continuing one.

If you ever lose interest in this project, you can move on to a more ambitious one, like this 17th century Dutch cabinet doll's house;):

[​IMG]

It is the Petronella Oortman doll's house. Here are some of the 'knicknacks' she put in, minutely handpainted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another 17th century Dutch one, with the original 'inhabitants'. This one belonged to Petronella de la Court. For some reason at least three 17th century Dutch Doll's house owners were called Petronella.
    [​IMG]

Contrary to most other European countries, these doll's houses did not belong to aristocracy. The Netherlands were a republic, with little need for aristocracy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Jesus! incredible!

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Was it Queen Mary? who had the MOST incredible dollhouse? It was... Look it up, folks. Or, those of you who haven't already seen it; I know Johnny has!

11. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

No furniture. It comes with paperwork and the receipt. The owner paid $3,500 back in the 90s

12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

He overpaid. What he paid has no bearing on what you should pay.
    It has great possibilities. You do it for your enjoyment, not future value.
    Patd

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, that price does seem pretty high to me. You didn't say what the owner is asking now. I think that prices for all sorts of doll-related items have gone way down from what they once were. Since @johnnycb09 has lots of dollhouses, maybe he has some idea of a fair price on this. IF the house was already furnished, and looked similar to what AJ showed above, that would be worth a lot.

14. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

They are asking 325.00

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is very nice, I think. But I know nothing about pricing for these. It seems like a very individual decision. Each of us puts our own values on things we are buying for our own use. You did question whether you'd do anything that would hurt the value for resale some day. It seems to me that the audiences for "fixer upper" dollhouses and for beautifully furnished and restored dollhouses might be two different groups of people. So there is that to consider as well.

16. johnnycb09

Not terribly high as new house kits cost that much. I agree with not paying attention to what the former owner spent.Back when he bought it dollhouses were very popular,and I bet when he did buy it there was a lot of stuff in it,hence that high price. It really is a lovely piece,and Im thinking it may be English. I had one almost as large but I had to let it go as it ate up my spare room (well,with the other 4!) .

17. johnnycb09

Ive had to really cut back on it all since prices for decent miniatures have gotten so high . When I started a decade ago you could find all sorts of great things on ebay very cheap,but alas,that ended. I am guessing since the market for miniatures has shrunk thats why the handcrafted quality items have soared in price (but not value!) .less folks to buy them.

Christmasjoy, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

Just wanted to thank everyone with the help, info, opinions.
    To give everyone an update I bought the house and it’s safe in its new home. Now I have some decisions to make and research to do. I’ll keep everyone updated if I find out anything interesting and of course keep the info coming.
    I’ve attached some pics I’ll post better pics when I get it cleaned up. 75610BCB-BD9F-4664-85E1-EA5365228235.jpeg AAF6BA9B-936C-4CF9-8889-A7B17E7490D0.jpeg F56A8F20-EEE1-4AD8-8B88-4B34538FF704.jpeg

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Artvandalay, yours looks like it might have been spectacular once upon a time, OR might never have been finished....one never knows......but it took work to get it that far anyway!!!!! @Any Jewelry, the ones you are showing look GORGEOUS!!!! Being a tomboy growing up (much to Mother's chagrin) I was never into dolls or dollhouses!!! But I can and do appreciate the time intensive work that goes into them and how addictive they can become, as I have seen!!!!!

20. johnnycb09

Well done ! I cant wait for some good clear pics. It is wonderfully proportioned. Anybody else getting a Georgian vibe ?

pearlsnblume, judy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted