Featured Antique Drugstore Syrup Dispenser

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cpk, Mar 8, 2015.

1. cpk

cpk Member

syrupdispenser3.jpg Anyone ever seen one of these before?
    I have been looking for 10 years for one like it with no luck.
    Only thing i could find out is that it is a very old drugstore syrup Dispenser
    Marked on the glass " C & H Bottle Dispenser "
    I have seen some other dispensers by this company; but, they were newer than
    this one. Nothing even close to the age of this one.
    Measures approx. 14 1/2" tall
    The white ball feet appear to be glass.
    Silver ?
    Any idea on value ??
    thanks

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I won't be able to help, but I think it's very attractive!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& I'm clueless...
    but it's darling !!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welll, C & H was the Cordley & Hayes Co., 172 Duane St., NYC. They were at that address starting in 1893 and there at least 20 years. I found several of their dispensers, not this one, that had patent info like a patent date or patent number. Some of them were dated to the 1910s to the 1930s. Do look this one over very closely for any patent info. It seems they were located at Leonard St., NYC in 1913.

--- Susan

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. Ladybranch

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice! I'm guessing the feet are milk glass...

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  7. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

The Ball Feet are probable Milk Glass marbles. Very nice item you have there.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Hmmm, either I'm losing my mind(which could be) or y'all have ESP, I'm not seeing a picture of anything here.

9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that's a real SWEETY there.
    Those feet are VERY unusual.
    It must have had some type label for a soda/beverage at one time.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Carl,
    I post here for you.
    greg syrupdispenser3.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  11. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Thanks Greg. Now it is showing up in the original post but wasn't before. I reckon I entered via The Twilight Zone :) That is a cool item!!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

CPK made the Feature page........keep posting those unique items !!!

13. cpk

cpk Member

syrupdispenser2.jpg

Hi Susan,
    Thank you for the patient info.
    Here is the picture of the bottom.
    Could not find any numbers it just says " patient pending"

KingofThings likes this.
  14. cpk

cpk Member

Boy is this Antiquers website great
    and has lots of great people.
    Thanks all for the responses & info!
    Thanks for putting this in Featured items

I was wondering if just the glass is Cordley & Hayes & the dispenser was
    made by someone else. Maybe, C&H made the glass part for several different companies. But, yet I have never been able to find a dispenser like this one.

Bakersgma and *crs* like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The metal parts may have been silverplated. There were several manufacturers who specialized in meeting the needs of pharmacies and soda fountains (since the later were often found in the former.) For instance, James W. Tufts of Boston who started out as an apothecary apprentice, eventually owned drug stores and (per Rainwater's section on him) "His interest in the concoction of syrups and other products sold at the soda fountain led to the manufacture of these products."

16. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

That is a really cool piece.

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bakers Sue,
    I was wondering about the top, it certainly looks like it was silverplated at one time. Since it has Brittania showing through. I am wondering it it really went with the piece originally. It is so decorated more than anyother piece on the item. I am thinking marriage.
    greg

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi Greg! That's entirely possible. I was hoping that cpk might take a closer look at all the metal parts for some maker's mark, even a tiny one, just in case.

19. Ladybranch

>...closer look at all the metal parts for some maker's mark, even a tiny one, just in case.,,,<

I was hoping the same, especially the faucet/tap. As there are at least 2 distinct push-button faucet/tap patents for C & H, I would expect patent info on them. It just seems odd for the only patent info to be on the glass and not the metal. I found a glass tank with embedded faucet/tap without the stand and cover presumably by C & H that may be the same shape though the glass may be ribbed. The faucet embedded into the glass may be the same as this one. I can not find the original auction on ebay. I can only find one pic of it. It appears to have the same wide rim at the top???

Hope the following link will take you to the pic with only a little of the description: "Antique 1917 Coke Soda Pop Syrup Bakelite Glass Dispenser Fountain NR"
    https://www.google.com/search?q=C+&+H+metal+dispensers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=h47_VLyvOcmIsQTonoCYDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=589#tbm=isch&q=Antique+Cordley+&+Hayes+bottle+dispensers&imgdii=_&imgrc=TPiQMOB-k-GuVM%3A;0Uo8Rw1ti9pquM;http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs2.ebaystatic.com%2Fd%2Fl225%2Fm%2FmhZIqQKjFolLzKiauseq6TA.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.tv%2Fsch%2FCollectibles-%2F1%2Fi.html%3F_sop%3D7%26_nkw%3Dantique%2Bsoda%2Bdispenser%26_frs%3D1;225;169

Here is the glass dispenser without description:
    http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mhZIqQKjFolLzKiauseq6TA.jpg

Here's another one that has a wide rim at the top. The glass is fluted and the body is sort of hour glass shape. The seller says the patent info is on the tap. By clicking the pic you can see other pics of it including close-ups of the tap with the pat info of "1917 C & H ..."
    http://www.tagyerit.com/antiques/stores.htm

>...Maybe, C&H made the glass part for several different companies. <

You may possibly be right that C & H only supplied the glass with an embed faucet/tap!!! Can you see the edge of the faucet/tap where it fits into the glass like the pics show in the above for info?

[​IMG]

--- Susan

20. cpk

cpk Member

Hi All,
    Thanks again for the links, & info about the patents , also all responses that was posted.
    I did look very closely several times for any marks or numbers on the metal.
    There is nothing.
    This is not a " marriage" the pieces match perfectly in every way.
    Anyone have a guess on the value of this??
    thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted