Antique English pub sign

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ST3, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ST3

ST3 New Member

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

On glass, yes? The frame isn't old - can you show the back, or even take it out? My gut feel at the moment is that it's a good repro. An original pub mirror or window sign would have some decent foxing and discolouration after decades of fag smoke.

Ghopper1924, SBSVC, Fid and 2 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

6. ST3

ST3 New Member

It’s glass with a wood back.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Back is pretty recent. If that's an older sign, someone has had it framed. I'd be sorely tempted to dissasemble it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. ST3

ST3 New Member

It’s a thick frame.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. ST3

ST3 New Member

It appears to have some depth in the lettering, almost 3D. Not just painted glass.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

The older ones are typically engraved and gilded, so that's a good sign - and the frame looks better in close up. I do think, that if it's original, either the frame has been altered considerably, or it started life as a component.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. ST3

ST3 New Member

Any thoughts on value?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

We can only comment on the item, as valuation involves too many unknown factors...

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Note that the one on Worthpoint has some sign Co. information on it at the bottom. A few more found in the link that Davey provided are more like the OP's. My gut feeling is that this is a reproduction or, perhaps, a nostalgic re-issue by the brewery. You may need to consult with someone in the UK more familiar with such signs. It is difficult for us to really evaluate this at arms-length.

14. Ownedbybear

I favour repro, but a good one. The cheapies tend to have just printed glass rather than engraved and filled. The brewery went in the early 50s.

Draft saved Draft deleted