Antique Etched Mini-Chalice-Silver Marks ID-Help??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SPERLS, Jun 11, 2017.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Its 3" tall & has 3 marks....Any Help Appreciated IMG_7618 (2).JPG IMG_7620.JPG IMG_7615.JPG

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not etched,it is hand engraved.

SPERLS likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ladybranch and SPERLS like this.
  4. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thanks Bakersma....I looked at those & it confused me,because the heads were on the left of .875...On mine the head is on the right side???....I do believe it is of eastern european origin & 20th Cent.

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

What an adorable piece of silver!! :eek:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The mark on the right is the old Russian 875 kokoshnik mark, introduced in 1896. Kokoshnik is the name of the girl's headdress. Facing right means after 1908.
    That means it could be from any country that was Russian at the time, before the Soviet era and mark. That was not confined to Russia as we know it now, it also included Finland, three Baltic states, Ukraine, Belarus, the Caucasian countries, etc. Finland became independent in 1917-18.
    To determine where it was made, we'd have to see the tiny assayers mark next to the girl's head in the 875 kokoshnik mark. Could you take a close up photo of that?

Russian silver was either marked in 'zolotniki', which is the same as the 'loth' system in some other parts of Europe, or in fineness, based on the zolotnik units. Your chalice is .875 fineness, the same as 84 zolotniki.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Ladybranch, SPERLS and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Did some editing:
    IMG_7620.JPG
    Looks like the letter next to the girl's head could be either Kiev or Kazan:
    DSC07945 (640x640).jpg

But a proper close up photo would be better, this is just guessing.

SPERLS likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Since it could be Kiev, maybe @Natasha knows.

9. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Any Jewelry...Thank you for your that wonderful information!!....here is a better picture.....I hope this helps. IMG_7627.JPG

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I have been trying to work with the square/rectangle mark to the left with either PЮ or BЮ. Do y'all think that is the maker's mark? If it is a maker's mark and could be IDed then might know the city and/or country of origin.

Like Sperls I have enhanced, zoomed in, and inverted to try to make out the first letter. I'm still not sure what it is - P or B. If it was a "P" it would sound sort of like our R, and if a B it would sound like our V. I'm about positive the rest of the mark is the Cyrillic letter "Ю." There is really no equivalent to this letter in Latin, but it may sound like the "u" in the word use.

--- Susan

SPERLS likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Interesting input, @Any Jewelry ! The 925 site doesn't show that version in the Russian section.

12. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Ladybranch....I took another picture of that mark. IMG_7654.JPG

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

14. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am not good in silver marks. But if you think that is girl's headdress kokoshnik (which I am not sure, for me it looks closer to Latvia) that's not Kiev for sure.

SPERLS, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Has anyone tried to figure out that separate round mark shown in SPERLS' 3rd picture? If you turn it counter-clockwise 90 degrees, it looks (to me) like a female head (possibly wearing a scarf/kerchief over her hair), facing right, with 2 dots behind her head and a T-shaped hammer (?) across her neck.

Ladybranch and SPERLS like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

It looks like:
    [​IMG]
    In that case it is Kostromskoy district in Kostromska, from 1908 till Soviet marking. The capital Kostroma is 330k northeast of Moscow.

anundverkaufen, SPERLS and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Bakersgma

18. Any Jewelry

I have yet to find a site with all Russian information together. 925 and silvercollection are great, I believe they are the same people, but I often struggle to find things. I use bits and pieces from other silver sites as well.

SPERLS likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Thanks for looking. The kokoshnik mark was a general mark used in old time Russia for all areas, even those where a kokoshnik wasn't worn. Just like the star and sickle during the Soviet era.
    I think they just needed a standard symbol and couldn't stop thinking of that one beautiful girl wearing a kokoshnik;).

SPERLS likes this.
  20. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Yes, Any, but I doubt that in old Russia (I mean Russian empire) any jewelry factory was located in Ukraine. I know about porcelain Imperial factories here but not jewelry. But maybe I did not investigate enough.....

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted