Featured Antique footstool spittoon?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Boland, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

E2045DEB-1951-4B3A-B80F-891B246B342B.jpeg ECA171ED-423C-4FC2-A8A1-51BDD39B9654.jpeg 570A0A1B-F73A-40B7-855F-7C7894C44AE3.jpeg 5D7FEE31-AFE6-42C7-B0EA-37C84883651F.jpeg Hi all. This spittoon was part of a job-lot house sale. I love the woodwork but the brass insert looks a little different from other versions that I found online (was it perhaps home or custom made?) I was also wondering if this was perhaps originally a footstool spittoon with the cushioned or upholstered cover now missing? Also looks if it might be missing little feet? Age maybe 1900’s -1920 or so (I don’t know)? Size 23cm across and 10cm in height. Please let me know what you think. Thanks and keep well

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i thought so too because the wood is there and it's so fine.....
    but flat ones were used on trains.....so

upload_2021-9-13_12-12-17.jpeg

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. Pretty big for a ashtray no? (but like for a vintage a cigar lounge,that’s sounds cool) Anyway the elderly lady(owner of the house) we go the items from confirmed it was indeed made and always considered to be a spittoon. But she also says it was indeed ‘handmade’ made by someone as a gift. This was the story before she eventually got hold of it (and yes they have had it for many many years,like in so many cases :))

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

But also maybe the lady got it wrong and she just believed what she was told so many years ago. I really also tried to search (but couldn’t match the brass insert to
    any ‘mass’ produced spittoon design) That’s why I also then thought it was ‘homemade’ or
    custom made.. Anyway,any guesses to the age of this ashtray- spittoon? Thanks

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The cone in the center would not be an attractive feature if used as a spittoon. It would make a great place for extinguishing. I would envision this in some communal place like a hotel lobby. Hard saying age. Think late 19th century, up to about 1920.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Many thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted