Antique french chest or no?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by FWIW, Jun 28, 2019.

1. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Hey all. Just got this cute little french chest at auction at bargain price and am not sure if its actually old or just vintage.

Definitely does not look factory made. Nail heads of various shapes and sizes. Iron decor with a lot of variations. 2 thick and clunky dove tails. Slight unsymmetrical aspects.

But I certainly am not qualified to tell if it is actually old or vintage.

As always any help is greatly appreciated so I can accurately describe it. My guess is it is just probably vintage, but my guesses are usually off base so there's that.

DSCN0075.JPG DSCN0076.JPG DSCN0079.JPG DSCN0080.JPG DSCN0081.JPG DSCN0082.JPG DSCN0083.JPG DSCN0084.JPG DSCN0085.JPG DSCN0089.JPG

cxgirl and Michael77 like this.
  2. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Here is a post of the back which looks fairly crude to me. I would expect if it were high quality to have a better looking back, but what do I know really. DSCN0077.JPG

cxgirl, Ghopper1924, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  3. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

I know zip about your chest, however its a nice piece. I can see why you bought it. Nice marquetry and top, I assume the top is marble?

cxgirl, Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's a very nice and pretty piece. With all that veneer and inlay, it's definitely showing it's age, of which I'm not sure....so I will put a shout out to those that can give you better info than I!! And I too am not a fan of green marble.....if fact not 'green' anything unless you were talking emeralds!!!!!:rolleyes::D.....@James Conrad, @verybrad and anyone else!!!!!

6. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

The top definitely is stone (marble maybe?) and does not look old at all. I assume it was a replacement at some point. Looks very factory perfect cut. It stands out to me when on the chest as not quite right with it.

But yes I liked the piece a lot really. I do buy to resell and this was the only piece I got in the online auction which was a ways to go for one piece to pick up, but liked it personally enough to make the trip even if it wasnt going to be enough margin really to make it worth the trip.

Just like looking at it until it sells :D

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have a few of those.
    In fact, I have a couple of items that are overly priced, just because I like them and don't have room at home.
    When someone asks why the price is so high, I tell them the truth. I like it. I also tell them they are free to make a reasonable offer. The few times any one has, it has been low ball. I just say no thanks and walk away.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not an expert in French pieces but, I vote for vintage, guesses 20th century Louis XV style Bombe chest of drawers.

9. James Conrad

LOL, a collector! at heart.

10. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Im the same way. My very first posting on this site was a 18th or 19th century federal cabinet w/ nice inlays and all I got were low ball offers (some even planned to paint it I think) and I finally just found a place for it at home.

cxgirl, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My sister and her husband have a few similar pieces they bought new about 15, 20 years ago. If my memory serves, they were made in Italy at the time.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Some of the veneer is peeling up which is why I felt it was at least vintage. I would figure it would take some time for the glue to wear out.

But I guess that can probably be affected by how it was store or how cheaply it was made.

Also looking at the wood it looks hand cut on the saw markings, but again I am out of my depth on that. Also I would assume over seas you still get hand made pieces at a lot of places.

Something about the wiping stain on top under the marble doesnt look too aged, but again out of my depth and I assume being under a stone slab could have that affect.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. James Conrad

If referring to case interior sides, those saw marks look like band saw marks with many narrow boards glued together which, they did not even scrape the glue off. The drawer runners look almost new with very little use.
    Add in the chest appears very "vertical" in first photo & most louis XV chest are much "wider" so the proportions seem off to me. Naturally, it could just be the photograph angle.

judy likes this.
  14. James Conrad

I don't think crude, it's modern panel construction. If it was a 19th century revival piece, you would expect to see solid boards on the back.

judy likes this.
  15. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Yeah the glue hanging there looked like not much care in production. So really just kind of a newer made (perhaps newer even than I thought) in the style of piece.

Good to finally be sort of right :D.

Still like the looks of it.

Thanks James.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  16. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

and yes the proportions are taller (31 inches) than wide (26 inches).

17. James Conrad

And, THAT'S what really matters.
    Yeah, it should be the other way round i would think, wider than tall.

judy likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

As others suggest, vintage at best. Many made in Italy in the latter part of the 20th century. Many still made in Egypt and the far East today. We get a few of these a year through the shop. Always popular but not a big ticket item.

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sorrento Ware. Absolutely typical of it. Post WW2. They're nicely done.

Draft saved Draft deleted