Featured Antique? French paper mache Snuff Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jun 17, 2021.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all I was hoping to get some information on this little hinged Lacquer Snuff box.
    It measures 3 3/4" x 2 1/4" x 3/4" tall.
    I think it is paper mache. It is signed.
    Has what looks like an old price sticker on the bottom.
    Signed Dep. G. A. I am sure it is for Depose.

atree 27052.jpg atree 27045.jpg atree 27046.jpg atree 27047.jpg atree 27053.jpg atree 27048.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Very cute. The paper label was from a collector or dealer.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, a snuff box, antique and very charming. Made in France or another French speaking part of the Western world. I think either France or Belgium.
    Déposé isn't a signature.:bag:

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation A J . I meant the G. A. Were initials of the maker?
    Mikey

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That looks like its imitating plique work, which is inlaid gold and silver into tortoiseshell.

6. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

I just love all kinds of Boxes.

7. Any Jewelry

So do I! My desk is full of wooden boxes, carved, inlaid, lacquered, etc. I also have a box display on a tray on our coffee table. And then there are the silver boxes, the smallest one measures 15 x 15mm. It is so small that I have no idea where it is at the moment.:banghead::hilarious:

8. evelyb30

I buy boxes, but only to sell on to people like Any.(LOL) A local antiques seller always wants to see what this old cat has dragged in. A few years ago "wish box" necklaces were popular in the USA; your bitty box sounds like a pendant that got loose. The first ones were silver.

9. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    It is actually a Swiss pill box that I bought new in Lugano when we danced at a festival there. It never had a loop, and wasn't intended to be a pendant, just a pill box for a handbag.
    At the time I only had to take a few pills, and I thought I might as well have something pretty to carry a dinner pill supply in. Now the dinner supply of pills almost takes up a small handbag of its own, so I haven't used the box in decades.;)

Janice Nicholls and Bronwen like this.
  10. evelyb30

((rolleyes)) I'm not on that many, but a few of them are honkers. They wouldn't fit in a box that small!

Janice Nicholls likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted