Antique German Presentation Cup

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Barn Owl, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I bought this today. It is 13.7 inches (35 cm) tall. The only mark is WNMF. (I don't think it's WMF).

One side is engraved with: "Ihrem lieben Kameraden Arnold Ebbinghaus gen. von den Vorstandsmitgliedern des L.V. Hemer." The other side has a list of names. I found that L.V. can refer to Air Defense, but since the trophy is dated 1831-1901, that feels too anachronistic. Could this be for a club or landsmannschaft?

The other weird thing that's throwing me off is the material. It has a brassy matte finish on the outside, a shiny gilded finish on the inside, and the bottom of the cup is silver-toned. Where there is rubbing, it shows that the material underneath is silver-toned, while there is dark tarnish in some places that I associate with silver. Yet, there is also some minor verdigris. I don't think it's gilt silver, but something about it strikes me as off for brass... It weighs only 525 grams.

EDIT: It's silver-plated brass, I think. Or once was. The dark areas polish up like silver.
    thumbnail - 2019-06-16T161638.625.jpg thumbnail - 2019-06-16T161605.044.jpg thumbnail - 2019-06-16T161620.443.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    antidiem likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Brass with pot metal cold painted eagle? It's a WAG :cat:
    I guess the eagle could possibly be lead.
    I do see what you mean by the "white-silver" color on the bottom.

Barn Owl likes this.
  3. Barn Owl

What's a WAG?
    Eagle is a bit silver-toned on the top, but on the bottom parts, it is black/dark brass-toned. Didn't feel terribly heaby, so it's probably pot metal rather than lead.
    Yeah, it's weird.

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Barn Owl,
    WAG is a short cut for Wild Ass Guess.
    greg

judy, komokwa, antidiem and 1 other person like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Thanks. Never heard the acronym before :)

judy and antidiem like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Could it have been silver plated and polished so much the silver wore off?
    Or it might just be tarnished. Take a little silver polish and rub a very miniscule area on the bottom back side of the base.

judy and Barn Owl like this.
  7. Barn Owl

Yeah, it was once silver plated. I polished one of the dark areas, and silver shone through. I'm going to leave the rest of the patina alone, since I think that the black areas are a better contrast with the brass.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.