Featured Antique gold and garnet ring, B&K mark. Help please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I guess this is the first thread where we'll miss Susan's (Ladybranch) expertise and help.

It is a 19th century Historic Revival gold and synthetic garnet ring.
    Just a B&K (manufacturer?) mark, no gold mark or fineness, but tests as low grade gold.
    I bought it in Germany, if it is German made, probably 8 or 9k.
    Can't find anything on B&K, except someone else enquiring about a B&K mark on an Art Deco gold and emerald ring. I don't know if it was exactly the same mark. Any ideas?
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC08125 (640x423).jpg DSC08126 (640x427).jpg DSC08127 (640x427).jpg DSC08131 (640x427).jpg DSC08128 (640x434).jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting symbols on the shank. I wonder if they are just decorative, or if they are supposed to mean something?

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I think they were inspired by the archaeological discoveries at the time.
    The German Heinrich Schliemann was involved in excavations in Mycenae in Greece and Troy in Turkey.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AJ, I'm pretty sure that's a E & K inside that mark.....check below.....

zDSC08128 (640x434)-2.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I thought so too at first, and researched that first, found nothing.
    After cleaning it, it looked more like a B, but it could still be an E. I'll get out the alcohol again. For the mark, not for me.:D

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

A bit blurred, the sun is going down, I'll try again tomorrow.
    upload_2017-7-30_19-6-31.jpeg

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That last shot makes it look like a B, but beyond that...dunno. What I want to know is why anyone would make a synthetic garnet when the real ones are everywhere in the Czech Republic to this day and it would have been cheaper to use a real one. Odds are it's a synthetic ruby or maybe even a real red spinel; just about all factories but the really high end ones used synthetic rubies and sapphires in Deco jewelry regularly. I'd run a tester over that and see where it beeps. If it's a garnet, the B&K could be a Prague manufacturer as easily as not, or maybe Lithuanian? The design on the sides is done in a method I associate with the Baltic Republics and places like Ukraine. The Poles mark the holy hobgoblins out of their pieces, so it's not Polish.

NICE ring btw; I'd be too busy wearing one like that to sell it.

8. Any Jewelry

Thanks evelyb.
    Tested it, 4, so probably sphalerite again.
    In Europe sphalerite is mainly found in Germany, Rumania, Italy and Spain. It was also sold to other countries of course, but in the 19th century there were pretty set traditions, for instance I've never seen sphalerite in traditional Dutch jewellery.
    I think we can rule out Spain, higher grade gold, better marking. Rumania had either that very baroque Austro-Hungarian style, or an ethnic style with filigree, etc.
    The Baltic countries and Ukraine were imperial Russian at the time, with Russian marks.
    Yes the Poles are wonderful in their marking, but the 19th century was the time of the Polish Partitions, so their marks would be Russian, Prussian, or Austro-Hungarian.
    Doesn't feel Italian either, though they are notorious for unmarked gold jewellery.
    I think we're back to Germany. Historic Revival was very big there, especially after the Schliemann expeditions of the 1860s-70s.
    I've had the ring for years, really like the archaic look. But it's too big for me, even in summer when I have sausage fingers.:)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  9. evelyb30

Knot it into some rattail cord and wear it as a pendant? Or maybe hang it on one of those 70s/80s charm holder pendants. I've never seen sphalerite in person as far as I know; it's not a stone used much in American jewelry; the Germans didn't export much to the USA. The Czechs sure did, especially about 40 years later, but not the Germans.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Sphalerite is rare, even in 'sphalerite countries', which include the US. Here is another one, it is American, I am keeping it for now:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/m...oi-et-moi-ring-help-please.18589/#post-253331
    It seems that ruby red sphalerite is found near Tiffin, Ohio.
    I hadn't seen sphalerite until a couple of years ago, maybe I am turning into a sphalerite magnet?:)
    I think I will list this revival ring, in spite of the nice decoration and shape. I always buy things I like, which means I also sell things I like.:( But then there is space to consider, and medical cost.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  11. evelyb30

I seemed to attract aquamarine for a while. Garnets follow me around whining, too, but they're a lot more common than sphalerite. Apparently it's so soft no one here wants to deal with it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Only the very brave.:)

13. evelyb30

I'm told it likes to break instead of facet in addition to being soft. Every so often I see a raw diamond in a modern ring. Does anyone ever set the stone uncut?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
  15. evelyb30

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Faceting opal is easy,it does not compare to sphalerite in any way.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted