Featured Antique gold ring

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Abdulrahman Shouk, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Hello everyone my name is Abdulrahman and I am from Lebanon.
    This is my second post, the first one being in 2018 ‍♂️

So this ring belongs to my fiancee she inherited it from her grandmother. We live in north Lebanon.

We think its a gold ring but couldn't find any mark on it (18k, 21k...) could it be that it faded with time ? And we couldn't identify if the ruby is an authentic ruby.

I appreciate any information about the rings. Thank You.
    IMG-20200826-WA0007.jpg IMG-20200826-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20200826-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20200826-WA0007.jpg

elarnia, KSW, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Unless this has spent its whole life in a jewellery box, if this belonged to your fiancee's grandmother still looks like gold with not spots worn through to metal of a different color, it probably is gold. Looks pretty high karat as well. It is just as possible it was never marked as that the mark has worn down. I would expect there would be some trace if it was ever there.

I don't anything you can do yourself to tell if a ruby is natural or lab grown, but the easiest test anyone can do is to look at the stone under UV light. Rubies are quite responsive & can glow hot pink, not just reflect back purple light.

KSW, Any Jewelry, patd8643 and 4 others like this.
  3. Very informative thank you

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quite a pretty thing.

Debora

KSW, Abdulrahman Shouk and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

And quite incoherent, now I reread it. :facepalm:

KSW, Any Jewelry, Firemandk and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

It is also a good sign that there are no small chips to the edge of the stone. Rubies are very hard.

KSW and Abdulrahman Shouk like this.
  7. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

I love it. Beautiful and my Birthstone.

KSW, Abdulrahman Shouk and Bronwen like this.
  8. Chandler In Las Vegas

Chandler In Las Vegas Active Member

Do not confuse hardness with brittleness. Jade is incredibly hard as it is not abraded/scratched by many other minerals. It is not brittle. However, diamonds are also brittle, they chip like hell. This is why FL diamonds turn into IF diamonds when worn for a month or so. Chips around a stone's girdle are indicative not definitive.
    My GG 2¢

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

One corner is broken off.

Abdulrahman Shouk likes this.
  10. Bronwen

I was using 'hard' in the way the average person would apply it to a stone. Corundum isn't just hard as determined on the Mohs' scale, unlike diamond, it does not have good cleavage, so much less vulnerable to chipping than diamonds are.

I'm not seeing @Hollyblue 's broken corner, but that does not mean it isn't there.

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Broken corner.

ruby.jpg

Abdulrahman Shouk and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

I saw that spot, & you're probably completely correct, but I'm giving it the benefit of the schmutz/lighting artifact doubt until OP confirms.

Abdulrahman Shouk and KSW like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice ring !!

Abdulrahman Shouk likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I lightened the photo, sure looks like a boo-boo to me :sorry:

rubyCrop.jpg

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

We knew what you meant!.

Abdulrahman Shouk and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted