Featured Antique gold watch chain

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by stracci, Feb 26, 2020.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I just wanted to show this antique watch chain/necklace conversion that I found at at a yard sale last year for $2.00.
    It weighs 29 grams, marked, and tests 14k.
    On another jewelry forum I was chastised for making off with it and not telling the seller that it was gold, and worth much more.
    Now, I do this all the time, and I love the seller who doesn't know what they have. I don't feel it is my obligation to educate people at their own yard sale.
    Thoughts?
    IMG_20200226_080602.jpg IMG_20200226_080620.jpg

lloyd249, janettekay, BMRT and 16 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You lucky girl, it is absolutely beautiful, thanks for showing us.:happy:
    Not here, we embrace sellers like that, and remember them in our prayers.:playful:

lloyd249, BMRT, bercrystal and 13 others like this.
  3. stracci

I love this forum. I'm so glad I finally found my people!!!:woot:

lloyd249, Any Jewelry, BMRT and 10 others like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Great find! I agree with you:)
    It is the duty of the seller to know what he sells, at least make some search for his stuff.
    If he was happy with 2$, it was not worth more for him!:rolleyes:

lloyd249, Any Jewelry, BMRT and 11 others like this.
  5. stracci

You are right. The seller should know. If they don't, then it's to my advantage, right?
    I really never thought there was anything wrong with this concept, After all, I learned this strategy when I was a little kid going to flea markets with my Dad.
    There is treasure all around, you just have to go find it.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

"Let anyone who is without sin cast the first stone."

I'd like to see how many of those self-righteous people haven't gotten the deal of a lifetime someplace.

Buyers get duped about a million times more than sellers...your dad did a good thing, and you are absolutely fine in using his methodologies.

Any Jewelry, BMRT, bercrystal and 9 others like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The resale shop I go to wants me to volunteer, since I will tell them something is underpriced that I am not going to buy. On the other hand, I have bought things especially before this forum that were overpriced, so I think it all balances out. Enjoy your chain and the pleasure of finding a treasure.

Any Jewelry, BMRT, bercrystal and 8 others like this.
  8. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

All of my finds are at yard sales etc and if the seller wants to sell something and sets the price and I pay it then there's no foul! If the item is worth 5, 10 or 100 times what I paid then so what! I've purchased jewelery, old whisky jugs etc that I've sold for many times what I paid and never felt the slightest bit of guilt. Great find and good eyes.:cigar::cigar::cigar:

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We come here to learn how not to be sellers like that. Seller acquired chain at a price that made a $2 resale profitable. Mark was there for them to find as readily as you did. Their negligence is not your responsibility.

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I remember once I went to an estate sale and bought a bunch of small items and the lady running it kindly gave me a cardboard box to carry it all in . As we all know they arent usually so accomadating ! Anyhoo , when I got him home I waited a few days to unpack and wrapped in newspaper from like 1958 I found a silver ciggarette case . Long story short,I TRIED to return it and no one was the least bit interested ! I still have it . Its all part of the game ,this finding underpriced treasures . They know it,we know it ,so I wouldnt feel a seconds guilt . :)

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll give you $3 for it right now!

12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Some days are your lucky days, that’s how I see it.

judy, Any Jewelry, bercrystal and 7 others like this.
  13. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I used to tell sellers when something should be more than what they were asking. But It wasn't making me anything so I abruptly stopped.
    Mikey

judy, Any Jewelry, bercrystal and 5 others like this.
  14. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I'll go $5 lol

judy, Any Jewelry, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The chain is stunning !!!!
    Great find !!
    I would have worn it home !!

Folks on the 'other' forum, are envious haters..... and it's too bad you found then before us......but now you found us .....& can never go back there !!! ;):playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

lloyd249, Msalicia, judy and 7 others like this.
  16. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

And that is why I ask the questions I do on many items, like the doll post. Don't want to short anyone but also want to have an idea of what value may be on an item so I don't short myself.

I agree with others, is the sellers responsibility to know what they are selling if they don't and I get a bargain lucky me. If I don't do my research and sell something on the cheap, my bad.

Now intentionally misrepresenting an item is a different story.

Beautiful chain!

Msalicia, judy, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I’ll go up to $15.99, to show I’m indeed a scrupulous buyer:angelic::joyful:

judy, Any Jewelry, BMRT and 6 others like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$ 16.99...........let the bidding war begin !!:playful::playful::playful::playful:

19. stracci

Wow, what good offers! I'll have to think about it.............:rolleyes:

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  20. stracci

Please, no fist fights!

Draft saved Draft deleted