Featured Antique Granny Square Coverlet

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by VintageAlways, Aug 16, 2020.

1. VintageAlways

VintageAlways Active Member

Antique Granny Square Coverlet -
    I would love to get more info on it. I’ve done just a bit of research and this is what I feel is true, but can’t find value or anything just like this:
    70” x 60” granny square coverlet - possibly silk or rayon, and most likely from the 30’s. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Very nice coverlet, which would be referred to as an "afghan". It is unusual to see one worked with bouclé yarn. In spite of the amount of work represented, such crocheted afghans are not very popular anymore. You can look at listings on ebay to get an idea of what sellers are asking for vintage / antique afghans, and check the sold listings for realized prices.

Aquitaine, reader, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SAD......ALL that hand-work from a loving relative, worth so little in the end!:(:(:( Could maybe always donate it to a convalescent home?

Tanya and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My grandmother made several these blankets in the 1970s. It's an old pattern but still often made today.
    Unfortunately, they're a dime a dozen at my local thrifts, though most are rather poorly done or have very un-harmonious colors.
    FYI, the granny squares are crochet, not knit.
    Yours does look particularly nice. :)

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree thrift shops full but most not nicely done -- garish colors, acrylic yard. This much more unusual.

Debora

pearlsnblume and DragonflyWink like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Used to be a pretty good needleworker, but not a crocheter (or knitter, either), so a bit out of my element - but I like afghans and can remember tons of the granny squares being made in the '70s (not that they couldn't date earlier). Have noticed that some nice granny square afghans have been selling fairly well for a few years now, suspect the 'Boho' trend had something to do with it...

Already mentioned, but the choice of yarn also strikes me as unusual, and maybe a bit more difficult to work with - are all the squares of the same type yarn? Might suggest a 'burn test' to determine the material, instructions should be easily found on line.

Granny squares Boho decor images: https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...w6U6X5v6G8e0zAKf4JagDg&bih=686&biw=1396&hl=en

Granny square fashion images: https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...W6Y6X7GbLMmJzAKehaboCA&bih=686&biw=1396&hl=en

~Cheryl

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Can't resist sharing:

[​IMG]

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Oh, bluumz, that is just disgusting! :vomit:

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Hmm. Gives me some ideas for dressing @2manycats. :rolleyes:

pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have my grandmother's afgan here. Very 70's colors. It sits on her rocking chair.
    There was a fella on Shark Tank that made those wild clothes with afgans. I think he said he sold some on etsy too.

11. Aquitaine

And I've a similar one over the back of a rocker for at LEAST 40 years!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Sorry, but those are just the "UGGGS"!!!!!!:facepalm::arghh::jawdrop::stop:

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Granny, don'ts! I'd call 'em.

Debora

14. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well I love those shorts!!! On someone else, of course.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted