Featured Antique hallmark help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Smudged, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm normally fairly good with hallmarks, and I do have the Millers Encyclopedia, but even after spending a couple of hours or so I can't identify this silver and amethyst piece to my satisfaction.

I did think the central stamp might be a cockerel (French 1809-18) but the shape isn't quite right. The N without a cartouche could be German, but nothing else fits! I'm assuming its earlier side of 1800s and Renaissance revival, but where from? With this style I normally think Florentine but I don't think this is.

These are the best pics I could manage, hopefully they might give some ideas... thanks for any thoughts :)
    foliate-2 small.jpg foliate-7 small.jpg foliate-8 small.jpg foliate-9 small.jpg

Any Jewelry, Jeanny, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The heart shape is also a mark?

upload_2019-11-29_15-2-19.png

That Carnival mask/devil's face seems like an Italian choice of motif; Renaissance revival a good characterization. This generous collection of marks is unfamiliar to me. Not clear that any of them is a fineness mark.

In case it helps:

upload_2019-11-29_15-12-36.png

Any Jewelry, sabre123, KSW and 3 others like this.
  3. Smudged

I'm assuming the heart shape is a mark as well, possibly a small workshop stamp but i've not been able to find another example like it. I'd agree no obvious fineness, unless that is what the mark in the circle is supposed to be, but it doesn't fit a known one that I can see. It's an odd collection of marks alright. It is silver so that's ok at least!

Any Jewelry, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Referencing the photo directly above, the one I flipped, was wondering whether the large 'heart', which looks more like a lambda this way round, & the smaller encircled mark to its left could be the same shape/character in opposite orientations. Would not be surprised to learn piece is 800 silver. Maddening to have so many marks & so little information! Not Netherlands, either.

Christmasjoy, KSW and Smudged like this.
  5. Smudged

slightly altered image
    foliate-8 small2.jpg

6. Smudged

The marks could be read either way if not a heart... the one in the circle looks roosterish if the other way around, just not enough like a French one! It is maddening though I agree, especially after poring over Miller's for most of the afternoon!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Smudged

Rotated...
    foliate-8 small3.jpg

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Could that be a feather or a leaf in the round mark ? fabulous pin !

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Is this one mark or two that overlap? B T?

upload_2019-11-29_21-39-44.png

Does not advance me one bit. Maybe will help someone who knows something.

10. Bronwen

11. Bronwen

It's like the riot of marks you find on 'Hanau silver', except, although there are jewellers in Hanau, I've never seen jewellery that was described as being 'Hanau' in the sense of the bogus 'antique' (they are now but weren't then) productions usually covered by that word.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Hanau is always a possibility. that V seems similar to one of the Schleissner ones.
    generally the N and also the Nürnberg crest were used by many in different combinations, because it was a hotspot for silver and jewelry trade between south and north.

13. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

A gorgeous piece of juwel

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous piece, Smudged.
    It certainly looks Italian. I was thinking maybe the N for Naples, which was an independent kingdom before the unification of the Italian lands.
    @DragonflyWink ?:)

The famous Florentine jeweller Peruzzi had his silver cast in southern Italy, btw. The parts were original Peruzzi designs, and they were assembled in the tiny workshop over their retail shop on the Ponte Vecchio.

judy, Bronwen, Smudged and 1 other person like this.
  15. Smudged

I did think Peruzzi when I first saw it as it's so alike other pieces I have had or seen before. The Naples marks don't seem to fit either, though I like the idea. :)

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. Smudged

Bronwen... I wondered about that, viewed up close it does look as though the left hand letter overlaps the right hand one. I think it's H T by the way, looks different in different angles.

Bronwen And Fid... I hadn't thought of Hanau, I've not had much to do with it in the past so didn't even cross my mind! That would be interesting though, and would certainly explain why no registered hallmarks seem to fit, at least that I have found so far anyway! Thanks for suggesting it :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Smudged, judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

True, I didn't find it either, and Tardy only shows very few marks. But I know that for instance Sicilian marks varied enormously. Since the two share history, I wouldn't be surprised if Naples had some 'rogue' marks as well.
    Just thinking aloud, you never know where it brings us.;)

Smudged and judy like this.
  19. Smudged

I did hunt through the Millers encyclopedia of marks, which is huge, but none of the Naples marks fit. Of course, like you said, it could be an oddity. Still a mystery but leaning towards Hanau I think now.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted