Antique Handpainted Pearlescent Cup & Saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rastella, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Rastella

Rastella Everything is figureoutable.

I had some great finds yesterday! This gorgeous antique cup and saucer set is one of them. I'm not familiar with these old porcelain pieces so I need some help. It's very dainty and pearlescent. It isn't marked on the bottom of either the cup or saucer; however, I think I see a similar handpainted signature/mark or date on both of them. Hoping someone much more familiar with them can spot it better than I can and help me identify this set. I was thinking a signed Chinese export piece for the English market? Again, I'm not familiar enough to make much of an educated guess outside of "I know it's old." Thanks so much!

Resized Handpainted Cup and Saucer 1.jpg Resized Handpainted Cup and Saucer 2.jpg Resized Handpainted Cup Bottom.jpg Resized Handpainted Cup Signature.jpg Resized Handpainted Saucer Front.jpg Resized Handpainted Saucer Front Close Up.jpg Resize Handpainted Saucer Signature.jpg Resized Handpainted Saucer Bottom.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

1950s-60s made in Japan,looks transfer printed to me. Pretty,but be forewarned,china collecting is a huge gaping maw! Theres SO much to learn,and you never really learn it all.

Any Jewelry, Sandra, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Rastella like this.
  4. Rastella

I don't think it's pre-printed and it's much older. I can see that the "dots" are painted on through the loupe to create the paintings. That much I feel I do know. Take a look at the dots on the gold trim. They are easier to see. See how unevenly spaced they are? They are individually placed porcelain dots on there.

5. Rastella

Guys, I know I have much to learn but I have an old pre-printed dot one to compare it with. With the loupe, they look totally different. I see "paint glistening" on the dots on this one. But heck, I'm learning something new every day, lol.

6. Rastella

I see what y'all are saying about the dots now. I see that it was outlined in gold (it looks gold shiny through the loupe) before being painted. However, if it were "dotted" transferware, then it would all be dots? Or is it considered all dots? Definitely different than my 1950's one so I'm trying to figure it out. But the "dots" seem to be painted mainly in the greenery and parts of the sky to give the landscape a 3D kind of effect. Are there different types of transferware that is throwing me off? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  7. janetpjohn

It's probably just harder to see dots with the dark colors. If you search for courting couple porcelain, you might find the same transfers used over and over.

Rastella likes this.
  8. Rastella

YOU SAID IT! Wait until you see what I'm posting next! You can help me out with that one, too! :eek::D

9. Rastella

I think you're right! Thanks!

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm with everyone else, the main decoration is printed then some of the gilt added by hand.

It's possible it's a Lefton piece though not marked as such. These are Lefton, keep in mind that when it says "hand painted" it only has to mean that something is hand painted not everything. In this case, the gold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REDUCED-Ra...929216?hash=item2ccf817680:g:SH4AAOxy4t1Siliz
    [​IMG]

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lefton-china-cup-saucer-gold-moriage-1781653470
    [​IMG]

This with no attribution.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/248883...YbD95wlylMpUlAD50cKaOXuiUDBySkEgaArnwEALw_wcB
    [​IMG]

komokwa likes this.
  11. janetpjohn

Many different importers, I guess. Keep in mind the dots are raised enamel, not moriage as one listing describes.

Rastella likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted