Antique Handpainted Pictorial Heavy Platter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Nov 29, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

SAM_6732.JPG Beautiful antique handpainted platter Country Scene.Anybody know anything about this platter.I've posted this platter on 3 other sites with no information.Hope someone can help on this site.There's no name or company,heavy,thick SAM_6733.JPG SAM_6734.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, appears to be a modern decorative import from Asia. Do wait for other opinions.

Debora

popsycat, aaroncab and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. antiquelover69

Thank you,it's not modern,it's an older piece.The place it came from was all antique.But will wait on more answers.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that all over crazing , gives one pause.

But you say that where it came from was a place that only had items of 100 years old or more , I guess you must be right.

Funny though , how 3 other sites.. came up with no information.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you show the entire scene, please?

6. antiquelover69

I know,I searched and just can't find any information.This is the 4th site.I was just hoping someone can help me.I have posted other items.

7. antiquelover69

Just posted entire scene.It's reall dirty.I haven't cleaned plate for fear of damage.Appears to be maybe stoneware,it's heavy not light.

i need help likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

others will be along ...with their opinions.....

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It may be older - as in 1940s - 60s.
    It's like it wants to be French or Delfts faience.

I don't think it is Asian, because of the bottom. However, I could be wrong.
    upload_2018-11-29_22-53-57.png

Wait for others to look
    @say_it_slowly

Bakersgma, judy and i need help like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm sorry I can't add much. It looks like fairly modern decorator to me too. Back in the 1990's yellow and blue of this toile type were very popular.

I still have drapes in my dining room in yellow and blue fabric that was everywhere at the time in that color combination. The ceramics that I remember were mostly imported Asian as I recall and I think United Wilson (UW 1897) and Wong Lee (WL 1895) were two of the marked ones.

I found this listing for a Wong Lee item (this one a different design) and I'm just attaching the photo to show the same bar on the base as well as the darkened crazing.

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/78893551/_Wong_Lee_Company_Ceramics_Tea_Caddy.html

[​IMG]

clutteredcloset49 and Bakersgma like this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Yes, buying a piece where there were lots of antiques has no meaning, because people are still given cheap gifts they hold onto because they like them, or for sentimental reasons.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm with those of the "fairly modern" camp. Like SiS, the blue and yellow colors particularly stand out in that regard.

popsycat and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Despite the fact you would like this piece to be antique, here are the reasons IMHO I don't think it is: 1) the overall crazing, 2) the weight, 3) the sketchiness of the painted scene, 3) the matte glaze and 4) the ridged bottom. These are all typical of recently imported Asian ceramics to be found at Home Goods and such.

Debora

clutteredcloset49 and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree that this is recent. I've seen bits with that exact pattern, crazing and so forth on sale.

15. antiquelover69

Draft saved Draft deleted