Featured Antique Hayward Folding Comb Pendant (Edited)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 10, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found a pendant that opens up and a tiny removable comb is inside. I don't know if it comes from a time where people carried tiny combs around their neck disguised as a pendant or it is a reproduction of this kind of item. Edited: @i need help figured it out. It is a Victorian Mustache Comb Pendant The comb has some damage. I couldn't find any marks. It is 2 3/4 long and 3/4 wide. Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_8055.jpg IMG_8058.jpg IMG_8069.JPG IMG_8070.JPG IMG_8062.jpg IMG_8063.jpg IMG_8064.jpg IMG_8061.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    kyratango, Aquitaine, stracci and 4 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Mustache comb holder?

3. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. Here I was thinking women and how you would use such a tiny comb for anything, and couldn't think of anything except the curly hair bits that women used to have around their forehead. Wrong gender. Off to search!

4. KikoBlueEyes

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A Dapper Man would need it at the ready! :pompous:

6. KikoBlueEyes

Apparently, Victorian men thought so.

ulilwitch, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

8. KikoBlueEyes

Mark Twain and so gorgeous.

stracci, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AHEM!!!!! Women can also have "wiley" eyebrows.....probably even 'back then'!!!!!:smug::smuggrin::rolleyes:

10. KikoBlueEyes

Good point. It's odd it's on a chain, if it's a man's thing. A unisex thing.

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

It may have been a chatalaine piece. I'm thinking as an attachment on a purse, stored inside the purse. If on a chain and worn externally, wouldn't the comb have a tendency to fall out of the holder?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Gus. It hold tight in its frame. I'm not sure of the chain at all. The examples, I've see, all are without something attached to the bail, so I don't know. All the references call it a mustache comb. I've seen modern men's mustache combs pendants on chains, though. I'm not sure Victorian men did.

710b2c56707422f4f88ef1f568cc9a23.jpg

13. Gus Tuason

Aha! If it holds in securely I would definitely be inclineed to a mustache comb. Would be fastened onto one end of a watch chain and tucked into a vest pocket as they did with jack-knives.

14. Gus Tuason

Very nice piece. You say the comb is damaged? No teeth missing. Just showing its age. Again, Nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted