Antique Hutch - Curious About Age/Origin

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by eastcoastcurious, Feb 6, 2021.

1. eastcoastcurious

eastcoastcurious Well-Known Member

Hello! We’ve had this antique hutch/step back-style cabinet in our family for at least 80 years. I believe that it used to be painted green, and my grandmother said that it was an antique even when she was young (late 1930s).

I couldn’t find any marks or stamps, so I believe it was custom-made. There have been some minor repairs.

Her family lived in New Jersey for many years, so it is likely from
    NJ, NY, or PA.

Could anyone please help me pinpoint the era or possible origin of this cabinet? I’m just curious how old it is, mainly.

I think it’s made of pine, but I’m not sure.

size:
    Height: 67”
    Width: 32”
    Depth: 17”

Removed links and uploaded to gallery.

Sorry about the storage items in the background.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @eastcoastcurious and WELCOME!!!:):) You'll find most members won't click on an off-site link!.....that being said, here are some instructions to getting your images posted right here.....and please remember to click on the VERY TOP IMAGE when they're all loaded that says to "POST EVERY IMAGE FULL SIZE"!! Thanks SO much!!!

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....

there are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 8 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

eastcoastcurious and i need help like this.
  3. eastcoastcurious

Thank you! I added some images to my post.

judy, Ghopper1924 and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

5. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

The cabinet doors are Art Nouveau in style, but not of the period. The design is also often seen upon French furniture.

judy and eastcoastcurious like this.
  6. eastcoastcurious

Thank you. Does it seem to predate that era?

judy likes this.
  7. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say so, no. The door hinges & latches look c20th to me. has the draw got dovetail joints??? I'm no expert, but?

judy and eastcoastcurious like this.
  8. eastcoastcurious

No, I don’t think it has dovetail joints. It makes sense if it’s from 1900-1930, thanks.

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Hoosier" cabinet from the early 20th Century. It does look like a custom project (though a very good one), and I can well believe that it was painted green originally.

I'm curious about your grandmother's remark that it was an antique even when she was young in the 1930s, which would pin construction to the 1830s?

i need help and eastcoastcurious like this.
  10. eastcoastcurious

Thanks! I think I just remember the description incorrectly. She probably referred to it as old or vintage, so it probably would have been 30-40 years old then, meaning it was created around 1900.

Thank you for the info. I always liked the style and I love historic homes and furniture, so I was just wondering when it was from. :)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hardware is from a true Hoosier cabinet but I don't think original to this piece. I think the two pieces are a marriage and re-worked a bit.

eastcoastcurious likes this.
  12. eastcoastcurious

Interesting! Thank you. Do you think that both pieces were made in the same era or by the same cabinet maker? I do see some evidence of repairs, putty, etc.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think the base may be a tad older than the top. It actually reminds me of an old incubator with that flip down front. If so, the top would have been replaced.

[​IMG]

eastcoastcurious likes this.
  14. eastcoastcurious

It does look like that. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted