Antique Ice Block Tongs

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Jun 3, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Found these while out shopping. They are not actually copper since a magnet sticks to them. I took a bunch of pictures of the detail. Would anyone know how old these are? Stamped with a Number 1.

icet1.JPG icet2.JPG icet3.JPG icet4.JPG icet5.JPG icet6.JPG icet7.JPG icet8.JPG icet9.JPG icet10.JPG

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

That doesn't look like rust to me, so assuming it is painted?

Just for some general information on ice tongs/refrigeration: https://americanhistory.si.edu/object-project/refrigerators/ice-tongs

I'm old enough to remember my grandmother having a storage area in the window of her pantry AND how she stored Sunday fried chicken on a plate covered with a cloth on a shelf. . .it is a wonder we didn't suffer from constant food poisoning! :eek:

bercrystal likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Wiscbirdog.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. depends on size. similar were used to grip gunny sacks when unloading cargo ships. the finer the content of the sacks the more pointed and sharp were the fingers to minimize loss (sugar, coffee etc.)

5. kraftblue

Fid, 14 1/4" from handle to the top of the ridge before it slopes down towards the point.

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted