Antique Islamic Mughal Bronze Ewer, 18th / 19th C

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN, May 10, 2018.

1. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN Contemporary Visual Artist, Female

Hi all, its part of my dad's collection and we are trying to find out more about the stuff in his collection.

Unable to put a certain value on this. Heavy so I am pretty sure its brass.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Yashini!
    Others will be along who may know more about your ewer.
    You can add more photos as it may be helpful. You can send bottom of base, any markings you see. Also please check box for Full size photos. :)

judy, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dimensions?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Yashini.
    Yes, we need more photos and the dimensions, please. We don't really do valuations here, but we will point you in the right direction.

5. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Hello there, thank you for the warm welcome. Ahh yes, I'll fix that, thank you. No marking on the base, I will upload more photos shortly. Good ay :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you for the warm welcome, I will to it right away. Thank you and that will really help!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Ewer detail (1).JPG Ewer top.JPG

27(height) x 26 (width) x 19.8 (depth) cm
    2948 grams

8. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

i have added them above.

9. springfld.arsenal

Thanks, any marks on bottom? Does finial unscrew? Pic of underside of lid? Pic looking down inside? Trying to determine whether new or old since so much of the brass stuff we see here was made in India last month.

10. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

11. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

IMG_3732.JPG IMG_5038.JPG IMG_6156.JPG IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

The neck is quite narrow, thus that's the best photo I could get from the top down. No visible marking on the base as per the photo (unless I am missing out on something) and the finial does not unscrew. Intact as one piece.

Thank you all thus far!

aaroncab likes this.
  12. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Last month? that's very unfortunate.

13. springfld.arsenal

Thanks for all the info and photos. The things I notice are on the views of the bottom. I can’t say for sure new or old since a lot of it looks like there’s some age. But the bottoms of the feet do appear to have been finished with a powered grinding wheel. See the striations? If this piece had existed for even 100 years, in use, I’d be fairly certain the feet would be worn smooth and if there were scratches, they’d be random, not all aligned like those. Interestingly the striations on the feet and on the bottom surface are all pretty much parallel. That says to me the grinder operator was sitting with the wheel in front of him, and ground all the spots without changing his grip on the item, so he was processing the items pretty quickly. The absence of any patination on the feet doesn’t support a case for an “old” item.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    judy likes this.
  14. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you for your input. Honestly, I had no idea, how much the base could tell and that was something I was not particularly observant of or had any knowledge of. This will let me be more aware. Thank you once again. I have several items and will post them soon.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sometimes...it's not what you see...but what you do not see....that can be a defining factor......

16. Any Jewelry

I agree with spring and komo.
    The ewer has rustic charm, and I love the little squared lion head on the handle, holding on for its life. But it is not antique. My guess is 1950s-60s, made to look older.
    This would not be considered Mughal. There is influence of the Indo-Persian style, but it is more rustic than the usual Indo-Persian brass ewers.

From what I have seen from your father's collection so far, he loves pieces with character. This one is even a bit quirky. He buys what he likes, like a collector, regardless of the value.
    Collectors follow their heart, investors look at value. Some people combine the two.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  17. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

That's interesting!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you for the info. May I ask, how many years of experience do you guys in this area it's really fascinating, to be honest.

You are absolutely right, he sure does! I have picked up from him along the way!

The Rockefellers' are one good example.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I grew up with antiques and art, so a lifetime.;) And I am one of the dinosaurs here.:D
    I first worked in a gallery in the 70s, and started a small Asian antiques shop in 1980, if I remember correctly. I have worked with different kinds of art and jewellery over the years.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  20. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

@Any Jewelry

Wow that's a load of experience I must say. HAHAHA, you're funny! Well, I have come to the right place then!

Any Jewelry likes this.