Featured Antique jewelry box - type of wood? Plus few other questions.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Garage sale purchase, not expensive. Thinking this is "oak", is that correct? Measures approx 6 inches across, 3.5 inches high.

I cannot find anything quite like this on Ebay, I feel like I might be using the wrong search words. Tried searching "antique oak jewelry box" and didn't see anything similar either in live auctions or completed. What would you call this?

I can tell you what the person at the garage sale said this was. (I realize that things you hear from a former owner may not be correct, just sharing.) She said it was purchased at a Chicago antique store a few years ago, and the store called it an "18C French jewelry box".

I wasn't sure about the 18C, but felt it might easily be 19C. The fabric inside is quite worn, but maybe gives clues. The box is missing one foot but on inspection I think one of the existing feet might be a replacement. Also appears as if it might have been locked at one time and someone tried to pry it open. I do not have the key.

So... what to call this? Is there a name for the way the drawers sort of swivel out? Type of wood? Estimate of age? Keywords appreciated.

Thanks!

jewel3.jpg jewel3b.jpg jewel4.jpg jewel4d.jpg jewel4b.jpg jewel7.jpg jewelbot.jpg jewel3dd.jpg

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Does look like oak; beyond that, I don't know.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sure looks like oak......i like the way the lock comes down over the drawers..:happy:

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Those look like those bun feet, from @James Conrad thread. Or not?

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, they are bun feet indeed!

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Any idea on the age of this?

7. James Conrad

It's oak, in looking at hinges I would guess 20th century, not 18th century and doubtful 19th either.

Christmasjoy and Diggummup like this.
  8. James Conrad

I realize you didn't wanna hear that but, those are "modern" hinges, screws. I would guess 1950s-60s?

Diggummup and judy like this.
  9. James Conrad

Still a nice box, just because it's old doesn't mean it's valuable, they made junk in the 18th century just like we do today, trust me!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think it is neat the way the drawers go this way and that way.
    I am not a furniture person, but I am getting a late 1950's vibe.
    BWDIK.

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

Agrees, i think that's probably close.

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Well I'm only in it for $10. It just seems like a fair amount of work went into this. The rounded wood, not veneer, brass plates with steel nails, all those tacks like things, etc. The bottom insert of the drawers looks like pine. The types of wood joints --dowel/tongue? (Probably don't have the right word there but some kind of plate or wood is in the outer corners). In fairness, I can't come up with any comparables from any era. Here are a few more photos. Maybe 1920s-40s? Thanks.

aa2.jpg aa44.jpg aa3b.jpg aa4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe call it studded when searching?
    And I think serpentine shape? Furniture folks please correct it not correct.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  14. James Conrad

Neat joinery, last pic is a "spline" joint. Oak & pine construction, it's a cool box, you absolutely got your 10 dollars worth! And, if 1950, that's 70 years old! You can find bun feet online to replace one that's missing.
    The front curvy/wavey dealio is called a "serpentine" front in furniture world.

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Thank you for the "serpentine" and "spline" name James, And INH, yes that tack decoration might be a search word to establish.

Anyone have an idea what to call those metal tack like things? There are 103 of them in total (1 missing). 28 on the top, 17 on each side, 20 in the front and 20 in the back.

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  16. James Conrad

"studs" maybe? or studded?

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  17. James Conrad

Just a thought but, could this be a man's jewelry box? The studds seem awfully masculine to me. Course, i know nothing about jewelry or the boxes that hold them.

Christmasjoy, Diggummup, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

19. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but it looks Arts & Crafts period to me, 1880-1920, like mission oak furniture. The rickrack trim used inside the drawers was popular during that time period (and again in the mid 20th century). The inside of the lid was padded with cotton with silk over the top, perhaps to hold brooches or other pins if it was used for jewelry, or needles if it was a sewing box. I don't think sewing boxes were generally locked, though.

kyratango, judy, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  20. James Conrad

I hope you are correct and i am sure @Lucille.b would be thrilled! :joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted