antique kaleidoscope

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shannon Yashcheshen, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Shannon Yashcheshen

Shannon Yashcheshen New Member

Hello,

I recently bought an art nouveau style antique kaleidoscope. I can’t find any info about it. Any info about this item would be greatly appreciated.

77D1C015-5BA6-4F46-BFD1-2A2D90010C0C.jpeg

EBB22DB4-4B91-4418-960C-3049F3908A4B.jpeg

Thanks

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Really hard to see in your photographs. Doesn't appear to be Art Nouveau. Doesn't even appear to be antique. Vintage maybe. Any markings? Is it broken? And aren't this type of kaleidoscope referred to as "jeweled?"

Debora

3. Shannon Yashcheshen

The legs and edge are in the art nouveau style? And it does need to be fixed.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Shannon Yashcheshen

The seller said it was from the 20s-30s

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's difficult to see the base in your photograph. Here's something (somewhat) similar, described as a "vintage" kaleidoscope. Age not given but, from wood detail, I would imagine 1970s.

Debora

Forum Kaleidoscope.jpg

6. Shannon Yashcheshen

Not similar no.

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Shannon Yashcheshen

I lightened the photo a bit

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like from the 70's and there were many variations,the broken pieces for the glass wheels looks like pot metal.It would need new frames for the glass wheels unless someone is making generic wheels that would fit yours.

9. Shannon Yashcheshen

Good to know. Thanks.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello Shannon. Janice Chesnik & her daughter Sheryl Koch began making 2-wheel stained glass kaleidoscopes like this, starting in the 1980s, but many other artisans also adopted this type of construction. I think this is by one of the other makers.

The wheels for this one look beyond repair. It would probably be possible to have new wheels made, using the glass elements from these. An important issue is the condition of the mirrors. If they have become clouded, speckled or knocked out of alignment, you could buy another scope from that period in excellent pre-owned condition for what it would cost you to have this one put back in working order.

I'm afraid the seller misinformed you, I hope out of ignorance & not intentional fraud. It is 1980s at the earliest & in poor condition. The Brewster Society might be able to refer you to someone who could make repairs.

all_fakes, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My thoughts were that I started seeing these in the '70's but I also could easily be off a few years.......not thinking they are antique at all, sorry to say. Can go downtown Chatham, MA to the shop "Yankee Ingenuity" and buy a few different ones right now.....each a bit different......they definitely are a fun item!! (At least they were there about 6 months ago.....and THAT'S a fun store too!!!)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hope you didn't pay much for this newer bust up item...

judy, Fid and Shannon Yashcheshen like this.
  13. Shannon Yashcheshen

Thanks so much for your help everyone :) Much appreciated. I’m going to fix it :)

cxgirl, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Shannon Yashcheshen

15. Shannon Yashcheshen

I paid $40, so not too much, but probably a bit more then it’s worth. It would be cooler if it was antique, but vintage is ok too. I’m going to fix it, which I really like to do :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If you have the skills to repair it yourself, then you bought yourself a good quality make-your-own-kaleidoscope kit. Hope the mirrors only need dusting. Have fun!

17. Shannon Yashcheshen

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Shannon Yashcheshen

Yes, they are clear. I’m an artist and I do stain glass. Just need to learn how to solder. If I mess it up...no loss :)

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I like the repousse accents. :) Even if you can't repair it, it'll still make a lovely decorative item.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  20. Shannon Yashcheshen

Barn Owl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted