Featured Antique KPM German Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barn Owl, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

The mark appears to be from the 1800s. I can't find the pattern online. How can I check its authenticity.
    20171029_143028.jpg 20171029_143046.jpg 20171029_143033.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason to doubt that it's KPM. They produced a lot of white ware. I think you're right about the date. Last quarter of the 19th century to very early 20th. The fold over edges and decoration were popular around that time too. This isn't really the type of KPM anyone would fake. There's just not enough profit to be made to be worth reproducing.
    Don

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Barn Owl, what size is that pretty little dish/tray??

That tray looks like a "sweet" handkerchief with half-curled edges.

I know how I would like to use it on a dresser or nightstand . . . it would be to hold a handkerchief or a couple of handkerchiefs.;)

4. Barn Owl

It's approximately 5 inches long by 3 inches wide. Perhaps an inch to 1.5 inches deep. I don't have the exact measurements because I don't have a ruler currently.

:) I assumed it was a soap dish. Do you think it served another purpose?

5. Barn Owl

That's good to know. I read that KPM could be faked, but now that I know it probably isn't, it looks like it dates from 1837-1844

judy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What are you basing those dates on?

judy, KingofThings, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Barn Owl, wait for others to join in and give their opinions. It could also (possibly) be a pretty little "pin dish"/pin tray (as my grandmother used to say). ;)

KingofThings and Barn Owl like this.
  8. Barn Owl

judy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Well, I'd take PPM over almost any other source most of the time. Not the wide range he gives for that red MADE IN GERMANY stamp - up to 1895. I was thinking 1880's - 1900 myself, based on the eccentric shape and decor.

Baalidun, judy, KingofThings and 2 others like this.
  10. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Yes, a popular shape motif in the late 19th c. and I believe some “handkerchief” plates appeared in the 1930s. Note, not KPM Berlin, the Royal factory, but Krister Porcellan Manufaktur.

11. Barn Owl

Oh! I thought it was KPM Berlin. :( Still a decent find though?

What kind of flowers do you think those are? Looks like forget-me-nots. Should I search for "KPM Vergissmeinnicht?"

judy likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Those don't look like forget-me-nots to me.

judy and Barn Owl like this.
  13. Barn Owl

For me, it's just the five petals and little star-shaped center. What flowers do you think they are?

judy likes this.
  14. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

I just saw this mark. Brb. [​IMG]
    It's probably real, lots of them have it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  15. Baalidun

Baalidun New Member

[​IMG]
    As for the when. Who knows, this says 1920s. But I dont care to post any more authenticity pictures. You say 1800s, I say ok. The only thing I needed to know it wasnt a late reproduction was the edges being painted or gilded, decorative, as the man above me said "up to 1895" which I have read with this sort of limoge. Make no mistake, the edges are generally used afterwards, but the design all flowery was an idea adoption from Haviland, gilt edges, bumpiness and all fitting the time period. According to
    https://www.realorrepro.com/article/KPM-Porcelain
    Your piece here accroding to this guy is a repro/forgery due to the
    absence of a cross on your orb. But it has the blue dash with KPM and Made in Germany stamp, man there is profit making reproductions cuz apparently that could bring in a grand. Your only hope in its originality rests in the presence of little dots in the artwork , which dont seem present, but KPM was (not forged but mimicked) since the start

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted