Antique leather ( cordite ) vessel container military?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Decka, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Decka

Decka Active Member

I placed this in the antique general discussion section and was hoping that maybe some of our military expert forum members may be able to help identify its use. It’s very small at 26x15cm and is made of leather. It’s incredibly solid in its construction and is by no means fragile. Was it a primitive artillery container, possibly used to store gun powder, etc. The metal band around the center with the four rings were obviously used to secure it so that it would not tip over. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 384F27B1-6F49-4AF5-BA87-515852C09EAB.jpeg 5E3513AB-125E-4248-8512-31A143C93AA8.jpeg 2F1CD167-C5DE-49C0-A18D-893BA19ED4AA.jpeg 6260C1F1-33CD-4E5E-BB43-5DAD9098F459.jpeg

2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Hummm just a guess...what if it was mean to go OVER something? Like a post. A post cap to secure something to? Animals etc?

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. necollectors

Another thought....It looks Spanish or medieval...What about a holder for a cannon ramming rod....or gun powder.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Decka

Decka Active Member

I agree with you when you say medieval, it’s diffently primitive. The four rings on such a small vessel tells me that whatever they did put in it they sure didn’t want it to tip over. The contents being either very dangerous or expensive. It looks over engineered for such a small vessel. I was wondering if it wasn’t used for military purposes could it have been used way back in the hey day of mining. Possibly placing precious metals inside and hoisting above.

5. necollectors

Then I was thinking some sort of quiver, but too clunky...the leather makes me think they wanted it light to be able to carry yet the rings makes me think they needed to secure it. On horseback the rings were used to secure it to the horse and it may have carried rocks or other projectiles, rocks for a catapult?

6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

We just had something similar in another thread; called a "powder monkey bucket" (google it for some images) and used for carrying powder to cannons on a ship, I believe.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Exact same item from the same OP, actually.

komokwa likes this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Of course it is. :bag:

9. Decka

Decka Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted