Featured Antique Leather Writing Folio (ca. 1900(?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

So.

I picked this thing up on Sunday morning at my local flea-market. It was dusty, it was faded pale as sour milk, it was marked and worn and beat-up...but...it was in fantastic structural condition.

$15.00 I paid, and I took it home and started to clean it off, and then laid into it with the boot-polish and beeswax to breathe in some new life!

folio01.jpg folio02.jpg

I have no clear idea how old this is, but I believe it to have SIGNIFICANT age, and I estimate a date of somewhere between 1900 - 1920.

I base this on the construction of the piece, the shape/cut of the pocket patches, the fact that it has no card-holders, only space for stamps and maybe a business-card or train-ticket etc. There's no zippers, no snap-buttons, no plastic of any kind. There's also no identifying marks apart from "E.B" in one corner (presumably the original owner's initials).

The style of the pockets is almost identical to several antique wallets which I've seen, which all date to the first decade of the 1900s, so I think this would date to around that era as well. It has the same, basic layout as wallets of the era, just bigger.

There's no maker's marks, no stickers, no stamps, no logos, trademarks, dates, pattent-numbers...nothing.

folio03.jpg

^^^Nice tooling-work around the belt-loop^^^

As far as I know, it is the original belt.

folio04.jpg folio05.jpg

All stocked! Blotting paper, calling cards, a sterling-shafted dip-pen, and I was lucky to find that Moleskine notebooks fit inside really well!!

folio06.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    elarnia, bercrystal, judy and 15 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Beautiful!
    Amazing that all of the stitching is tight.

judy, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Fantastic job. I love how you put together the parts

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Shangas

By my reckoning, something like this is AT LEAST 100 years old. The styling is very pre-WWII and even pre-WWI. It basically looks like an enlarged version of a turn-of-the-century wallet (of which I have had a few, over the years). That's what makes me feel that I can date it so accurately.

I am amazed that it has held up this well. Usually old leather products like this are completely unusable and disintegrate at the lightest touch, but this one is fine! Nothing wrong with it at all!

judy likes this.
  5. Shangas

Well. The folio is now fully restored.

I sewed in a new pen-loop to replace the other one. It's a similar colour of leather, and in time, it'll age just like the rest of it.

I also sewed in a new elastic strap to replace the old one so that the notebook can hang inside like it would've done when it was new.

It's now fully restored and ready for action! :)

KikoBlueEyes, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Enjoy its use!

Beautiful piece.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Shangas

It is lovely. I'm very pleased with it :)

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great. I am a great believer in using old things, if possible. I love your attention to detail.

9. Shangas

Fully restored!!

OUTSIDE:
    folio09.jpg

INSIDE:
    folio08.jpg

^^^Notice new, black elastic strap sewn into the right-side fold, for holding a notebook ^^^

FILLED WITH STUFF:
    folio10.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I also enlarged the pen-loop by like...a tiny amount - half a centimetre, probably - but it's now large enough to fit an actual pen, instead of just a pencil.

Draft saved Draft deleted