Featured Antique Middle Eastern blue and white pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Percy French, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Percy French

Percy French Member

I am hoping someone on the forum can possibly identify and date a piece of very old looking pottery in the form of a large footed bowl approx. 12" in diameter and in blue and white with what looks to be the Star of David to the center used both in Judaism and in Islam. Back has a marking also as shown. Please excuse that I have had to remove the price stickers for it and cover these over.

Any help as to age and origins would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance
    P-F

Front.JPG

Back1.JPG

KSW, Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't look Middle Eastern to me, reminds me of Moroccan.

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The pattern appears to be Syrian, but @Any Jewelry is correct, it is Moroccan. The writing on the bottom is Arabic for Fez which has become the hub for this type of ware in the 20th century. The pieces look old as they are soft bodied and fired in uncontrolled kilns. Date wise it could be anytime from the mid 19th century onwards, they still make very similar items today. Older examples tend to be more roughly painted and have odd tones to the base glaze. It's very much a judgement call on age though.

patd8643, blooey, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. Percy French

Percy French Member

Many thanks for identifying, greatly appreciated. I will try and do some research on it now. Thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted