Featured Antique Milk Glass Decanter Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 11, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Whoa! That's not what I was expecting at all.:wideyed: Very pretty, and the paint colors make me think of Imari porcelain.

janettekay likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

Paints are in very good condition, making you think it is recent. But from closer look everything looks old.
    I was about to list it as Bohemian hookah base but wonder if I should keep researching?

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. lauragarnet

I had to go look at hookah bases to see what they look like, and by the shape of the rim, I think you're spot on about that. I see lots of Bohemian glass was made for the Middle Eastern market, so you've probably hit that nail on the head, too.:)

5. lauragarnet

Hey @kardinalisimo

I just wanted to tell you I think you should use key words Persian hookah and maybe Qajar too when you list this.

There seems to be a lot of European/Austrian/Bohemian porcelain and glass decorated with similar cobalt blue, red and gold leaves pattern from that era.
    [​IMG]
    eBay: 19th Century Persian Porcelain Hand Painted Hookah with Carved Wooden Base
    Ended: Oct 02, 2016 Sold for: US $375.00
    Description:
    [..]19th Century Persian Porcelain Hand Painted Hookah with carved wooden base. Weight 10oz.
    Measures Approx., 3” Diameter, 6.5” Height

LIbraryLady and cxgirl like this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought when I opened the thread !! Not expecting to see this....VERY pretty...

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Kard, Here's a decanter I have that appears to be very similar to your piece. It's approximately 9 3/8" tall to the lip, about 6" in diameter. I forgot to take a pic of the bottom, but it looks like yours--slightly inverted with a dime-size polished pontil in the center. The stopper is hollow and has a clipped tail (not sure what the technical term for that is, but it's not ground smooth like most).

[​IMG]

lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  8. kardinalisimo

Not mine anymore. Surely yours has the same shape and molding.

Draft saved Draft deleted