Featured Antique Miniature English Carriage Clock (Ca. 1950)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

My dad'll kill me, but whatever. It was worth it! How often do you find something this small and cute!?

smallclock01.jpg smallclock02.jpg smallclock03.jpg smallclock04.jpg smallclock05.jpg

It's marked on the back:

(ACG) and at the bottom: '17/'

I assume ACG is the manufacturer. I'm not sure what, if any significance, '17/' has. I highly doubt that this clock cost 17 shillings when it was new, though. Which by my judgement, would be about 1880-1910.

I've sent an email to a watchmaker friend of mine to see if he can source me a new key and what he can do about giving this baby an overhaul.

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Mid century or later - England

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Some 'time' ;) back there was a discussion about this style of clock.
    Perhaps it was Mansons but I learned that though they look similar not all such clocks are 'carriage' clocks.
    I have a similar one.
    Is this one for sure and why?
    :)

4. Shangas

...I don't really understand your question.

In what way is this not a carriage clock?

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

6. KingofThings

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Shangas

So why is this not a carriage clock?

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Shangas, I think what King & I were both remembering is this line from Afantiques' reply in the 2nd post I linked to up above:

Technically it is a carriage timepiece, a carriage clock would be a striking type.

I know NOTHING about carriage clocks and don't even know if yours is a "striking type" or not! I'm just remembering something that Af (our resident "clock" person!) had to say once upon a time.

9. Shangas

Well to most people, if it tells the time and you don't put it on your wrist or in your pocket, it's a clock. So to me, and probably 99% of the population -- this is a carriage clock.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Language can make words as precise as they need to be. Describing the item for sale purposes, or talking to another clock person, carriage timepiece, and indeed the use of the distinction between all timepiece, striking and chiming clocks is useful. If you ask for a spade you do not want someone to bring you a shovel.

It is quite true that people with no real interest in old clocks can and will call it what they like. Using the correct terminology in anything is a way of signalling to whoever you are talking to that you have at least some knowledge of the subject, your opinions will be accorded a bit more respect, and people may be more willing to tell you things if they do not feel they have to start with baby steps.

If you use the search term 'mignonette clock' you will find more examples, many misusing the mignonette term for mignon examples.
    The French classified carriage timepieces and clocks by size, a four was quite large, a 0 or 0-bis was what we'd tend to think typical today and led to the term obis cased clock which just describes the size, not the style. Even smaller than a size 0 was a mignon, smaller than that a mignonette.
    Case styles include corniche, Anglaise and gorge.
    This one has a gorge case, rated somewhat more desirable than the more common corniche style.

Actual measurements would be useful, also a good picture of the back plate with the door open, and the mark on the bottom, which may relate to the number of teeth on the escape wheel and is a guide for which type of platform to fit.

11. Shangas

MEASUREMENTS:

2in. across the top.
    1.75in. front to back.
    3.25in. from top to bottom.

Here's the back:

21231057_1973436082914868_2924307531160124506_n.jpg

12. KingofThings

Ummmmmm.....
    WOW!!!
    :)

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OOOOH, that is tiny!!!!! I WANT it!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::D:D:D:D

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That is a mignon size. It is not English and probably if not certainly pre-WWII.
    With the size and gorge case, it is quite a desirable little antique timepiece..

15. Shangas

Hi AF, yes it was the size more than anything else that drew me to it. I really think it's cute.

I took it to my watchmaker friend today. He said it was probably mid-1900s at the earliest, and made in France. For a small consideration, he also provided me with a proper double-head carriage-clock key which would operate the arbors properly :) He said it was a good purchase.

16. ldhair

ldhair Member

Nice clock.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there may be more around than you suspect....
    but still......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182090703088

Quality vintage English brass miniature carriage clock
    with a classic five beveled glass case.By ACG(Marked to the rear)1960/70's

KingofThings and Ghopper1924 like this.
  18. Shangas

Oh I'm sure there are, but not as many, I suspect, as regular-sized ones.

KingofThings and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. komokwa

20. komokwa

maybe....maybe not !

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted