Antique Native American baskets

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Nancy Sugarek, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Nancy Sugarek

Nancy Sugarek New Member

I received these baskets from an elderly friends estate about 30 years ago. She and her husband visited reservations (I never asked which ones) and collected these over the years. They are at least 50 years old but likely older. (I can only vouch for 50 years as that was when I met her). Could someone help me learn about them?

MyrtleBeach55 and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Nancy Sugarek

Nancy Sugarek New Member

Ok folks, seems I dont know how to add photos.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

What have you tried, so far?

Are you on a phone, or computer?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Nancy Sugarek

Nancy Sugarek New Member

I'm on phone. Just cant find a place to add them.

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Go back into "edit"

At the bottom press "upload a file"

Once you have them all in, select "all full size"

(you may have to resize - I cut my big files down to 900 px - that's what works for me, anyway)

You have a window of time to edit. If you waited too long, just put them in a "reply"

judy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Nancy Sugarek
    If your pictures are on your phone, you need to email them to yourself as medium. Save them and then upload for there.

judy, scoutshouse and Aquitaine like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

did you ever see these in their home...?

judy likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

We are waiting with bated breath.

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Nancy.
    Here are the basics of posting photos, from:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Just a short simple tutorial on how to create a thread and post a picture on this forum.
    Click on any titled section to which you wish to post, scroll down to the bottom and click "Post New Thread" as pictured.

[​IMG]

To place a photo or picture from your PC.
    When you have created your post click "Upload a File"
    Then click "Full Image"
    Up to 8 pictures in any one post are allowed.
    Keep your photo`s or pictures below 1mb, preferably 640 x 480k.
    On Android click and hold the pic. Click on the 3 dots in upper right corner. Click edit. Then click the option on far left and it gives you different sizes to choose from.

[​IMG]

...........................................................................................................
    [​IMG]

2manybooks likes this.
  10. Nancy Sugarek

Nancy Sugarek New Member

.20191031_173453.jpg .20191031_183518.jpg .20191031_183613.jpg .20191031_183736.jpg .20191031_183716.jpg .20191031_102804.jpg
    Hopefully these photos came through. I'm new to this and still not up to speed. Let me know if I need to send more shots. .20191031_173453.jpg .20191031_183518.jpg .20191031_183613.jpg .20191031_183736.jpg .20191031_183716.jpg .20191031_102804.jpg .20191031_183629.jpg .20191031_183642.jpg I received these baskets from an elderly friends estate about 30 years ago. She and her husband visited reservations (I never asked which ones) and collected these over the years. They are at least 50 years old but likely older. (I can only vouch for 50 years as that was when I met her). Could someone help me learn about them?[/QUOTE]
    View attachment 211528

11. Nancy Sugarek

Nancy Sugarek New Member

She had a cluttered home and guest house. I probably saw but didn't notice them.

kyratango likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

They look to be Tohono O'odham (Papago), but some nice old styles that you don't see as often. Very nice condition as well. They are traditionally made of a bear grass bundle as the foundation of the coil, stitched with yucca, and devil's claw for the dark design elements.

The one with the dog (horse?) figures and the solid brown rim might be Pima, but it is difficult to tell. The Tohono O'odham and Pima live in the same area of the southwest, and made quite similar baskets. But the Pima baskets tend to be a bit more delicate in appearance, with finer stitches. I can't get a good feel for the scale from the photograph.

The Tohono O'odham have been prolific basket makers, the great majority done for sale to tourists and collectors. As such, they do not command the prices that some other types of Native American baskets do. However, you have inherited a nice collection.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  14. Nancy Sugarek

Nancy Sugarek New Member

Any advice on selling, donating to a museum, etc.? I may be willing to part with them.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

There are a lot of websites with Pima & Papago baskets for sale, for you to get an idea of current prices.
    None of them are Museum grade, or old enuf to interest a museum, & you don't have the documentation to know where they came from and when.
    The Pima olla with the Gila monsters is the most interesting & is likely worth a few hundred....but as shown below , is not old enuf to command 4 figures...

upload_2019-11-3_10-47-30.jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted