Featured Antique? Native? Pottery Vase Lizards or Geckos Signature? Style?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, May 20, 2022.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I believe this 6 inch tall by 7 1/2 inch in diameter at the widest area vase to be old. Any idea? I cannot read the signature. Does it look SW, Native or ? I have had it about 5 years, maybe more, but I have had it in my kitchen at least that long. Do not remember where I picked it up, a sale of some kind. So, as you can see, the only thing I know is I like it. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! IMG_3661__1653076941_27470.jpg IMG_3659__1653076804_73163.jpg IMG_3658__1653076864_30472.jpg IMG_3660__1653076915_24503.jpg IMG_3662__1653076975_95634.jpg I am not selling it, well, if it was valuable I would because I would be too afraid to use dust it. Also, do any of you know if can you wash old pottery that is crackled? Does the water do more because of the cracks in the glaze.

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Do you think it might say Charles?

judy likes this.
  3. alynnfin

I do not see the ...es but that means nothing. Do you know of an older Charles potter who does vases like this?

judy likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Lovely, looks more like studio pottery to me

Any Jewelry, judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

But a good one ;)

judy likes this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

It sure looks like studio pottery to me also. The style would then be southwestern. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, that @Taupou has repeatedly stressed, authentic Native American pottery is never wheel thrown or glazed.

The first four letters of the siggy look like 'chan' to me.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Figtree3, judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I agree, it looks like Chan... not sure of the rest?
    I've had luck with pottery over the years and if were buying low (at a yard sale) and selling for profit I would expect somewhere at least $120 and as much as $180. The lizard design is very clever and caught me by surprise. Nice work.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

I thought the same by the darkened base

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's raku (post-firing reduction), not very successful, in that the unglazed clay didn't turn out very black.

Since post-firing reduction was a process developed by American potter Paul Soldner, it dates no earlier than the late 1960s, when he developed it. The white glaze is designed to crack, and isn't any indication of age.

Unless it is glazed inside, and high-fired, raku isn't water proof. You can wash and dry it, however, without harming the glaze.

Raku isn't a Native American Indian process (although many tribal people have probably tried it over the years.) I wouldn't even call this pot "SW style," it's just studio pottery raku.

Soldner, as well as many other potters, were teaching classes, holding numerous workshops, and having raku firings in the 1970s, so just about everyone who was interested eventually tried their hand at making raku pottery. Thus it may be next to impossible to determine who exactly made it. But the way it is signed, with "authority," indicates it was done by an accomplished potter. Value would be more in the range of whatever an interested buyer was willing to pay for it, based on its decorative value.

dgbjwc, verybrad, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I just learned something........ thank you !!

dgbjwc and judy like this.
  12. alynnfin

Thank you very much! A wealth of knowledge and glad to know when it gets a little oily after being in my kitchen window for awhile, I can wash it off. I was afraid of the crackle getting darker and staying darker. Thank you all!

charlie cheswick and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted