Antique Nelson Chair Identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Charl Cilliers, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Charl Cilliers

Charl Cilliers New Member

Can anyone advise on history of this antique chair? Belongs to my father in law and has been handed down through his family since he can remember, apparently built using wood from one of Admiral Nelson's ships.

Front legs carved cannons

Alexander London painted on the chair's back as seen in the photo

Im very curious about this piece

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Charl! That chair certainly must be interesting with that carving of ship and sea, but we are going to need more pictures so we get the whole thing - preferably outside of the car. ;)

3. Charl Cilliers

I'll get a few more photos this afternoon if possible

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

We'd LOVE to see the LEGS!!!!

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG, I LOVE that BACK piece......I'd frame just that (so far!!) somehow!!!! With CARVED turnbuckles?!!!!!!! Nice!!

X2ZZZZZZ  20191011_070250_resized_1-edit.jpg

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Beautiful! what a great chair!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just lovely !!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT!! :cat:

i need help likes this.
  10. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

there was an "alexander" which was a large british merchant ship built in 1783 and in the first fleet taking convicts to australia apparently. there was even a mutiny on it. good stories make better money.

11. Charl Cilliers

Good Morning,

Here are a few more photos for guidance on making a call about where this chair could have come from,

Still very curious

Attached Files:

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Styling suggests circa 1870. The ship, Alexander was recorded as lost in 1809 and Lord Nelson died several years before that. Consequently, the story of it being made from timbers of one of Nelson's ships doesn't necessarily ring true. Nelson was recorded as a passenger aboard the Alexander in 1800 but it was never in his command.

The Alexander is important to Australia since it was used to transport some of the first settler/convicts to the continent. Could see how this was made to commemorate the ship for that reason. From what country did your father in law's family get the chair?

There were also other ships named the Alexander but none seem important enough to have been commemorated. Also, few of them would be old enough to have been depicted in the manner seen on this chair.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Despite the amazing one-of-a-kind splat, I'm getting a bit later vibe from this. Maybe 1890? Not crucially important, but the carving style looks to me more Renaissance Revival 1890 than Renaissance Revival 1870.

14. Charl Cilliers

Thanks for the insight so far, looking further into the possible link to the Alexander; was the ship perhaps named after Alexander the great? Possibly the reason for the grecian featured bust on the arm rests (Possibly Alexander the great).

15. Charl Cilliers

I did a bit more research and came across the history of the HMS Alexander, named after alexander the great, and with which Admiral Nelson had a reasonable role. The ship was a war ship in the war of independence and captured by the French and later recaptured by the British. The ship was later retired and broken up from which the chair could have been built in commemoration? See link to some history of the ship:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Alexander_(1778)

https://hrgm.wordpress.com/research/hms-alexander-the-ship/

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is a different Alexander than the one I found. It may be a more likely candidate.

17. Charl Cilliers

With the ship being dismantled/broken up in 1819, could it have been built earlier than the 1870 to 1890 date? Is there anyone that can guide me on its value given the historical context?

Draft saved Draft deleted