Antique Oil On Canvas Framed

Discussion in 'Art' started by kraftblue, Jun 5, 2022.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Unsigned. Nice painting and frame. In frame measures 24" x 18 1/2". Frame is about 1 /2" thick. Unframed measures 18 1/4" x 12 3/4". I know it's not easy to ID an unsigned piece, but one can always hope.

art1.JPG art2.JPG art3.JPG art4.JPG art5.JPG art7.JPG art9.JPG art10.JPG

2. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Neat steel stretcher keys. Do you have a close-up picture of one of the keys? It might help narrow down a date range. I can't see any staples so most probably pre-WW2.

3. kraftblue

Techbiker
    clip.JPG

techbiker likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That could well be a decorative painting. Dogwood in bowl a popular subject in the mid-20th century. To my eye, the painting looks newer than the frame and hardware. Wonder what others think.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

smallaxe likes this.
  5. kraftblue

Debora. The canvas is nailed to the frame. It does look pretty old.
    nails.JPG

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. But the painting doesn't (to my eye.) Wonder if it's an overpaint.

Debora

7. techbiker

There's a patent date. I spent a few minutes searching the USPTO but couldn't find any stretcher keys by "Cutis" around September 1888. If you are curious, you may try searching various terms to track down the inventor.

Patent Public Search | USPTO

I'd guess the painting date is sometime shortly after 1888 (probably pre-1900). Cutis doesn't seem to have been a major stretcher key manufacturer. If he/she only sold keys locally, you may be able to roughly track down where the painting was painted.

P.S. Another possibility is the keys could have been patented in the UK instead.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just a gentle reminder that... One can't assume the painting is contemporary to the canvas and frame. A way to test that is to do a Google Images search for late-Victorian dogwood floral still life and see if anything remotely similar shows up.

Debora

9. techbiker

Great point. Still, would someone go through the trouble of painting an unsigned relatively-generic (no offense!) floral scene on a vintage/antique canvas years later? If the canvas/frame were NOS when painted, I have trouble imagining they had been sitting in a warehouse for 100 years. Perhaps 10-20 years? Anything is possible for sure though. Image search is also a great idea.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The plot thickens.

Debora

s-l500.jpg

smallaxe and wlwhittier like this.
  11. techbiker

Do we know if OPs flowers are dogwood flowers? I'm seeing 6 petals. Perhaps they are crabapple flowers instead?

Perhaps paintings like hers inspired the wave of mid-20th century dogwood flower paintings? :artist:

12. kraftblue

Tech, patents are not always easy to deal with, even if they have a number..

Debora, thanks for all the input. Google lens brings up a variety of high end and low end things.

techbiker likes this.
  13. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I am wondering if a newer painting/canvas has been placed on an older stretcher frame combo. I am curious also about the inconsistent patina on the stretcher bars. I think the brackets and frame are from the same period. I like the painting, it would look nice in an older home.

14. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

61ABA572-B3F7-4CE4-84D5-F32A5C593C05.jpeg
    My image search found this almost identical painting on Etsy with a modern frame????

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    Figtree3 and smallaxe like this.
  15. techbiker

Kraft, it doesn't look to me like your canvas has been relined. Do you see just one canvas layer? It also looks to me like your painting has a decently think grime layer. Patents can be tough.

Lithographer, I seriously wonder if these paintings are all copies of an older work. The stretcher bars don't look new to me. They appear fairly dark and basically CVG. The stretcher keys are fairly unusual and screws look period. The stretcher bar backs could have been cleaned at some point?

This is all just conjecture...

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bet they're all based on this Bessie Eastman Gourley watercolor 'Primroses' in the Springville Museum of Art in Springville, Utah. It's quite sweet. Images of it may have been widely disseminated.

Debora

1992.017.png

techbiker likes this.
  17. kraftblue

Tech, It I took another look at it, it does not look relined.

Thanks Debora. I am not up on all my flowers. At least I know what to call them now.

techbiker likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Not dogwoods, they have 4 petals, OP’s pink flowers look to have 5 :)

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you for the correction. Then primroses would be accurate. Five petals.

Debora

techbiker likes this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

To my eye, the style and colors aren't consistent with the age of the frame or original canvas.

Debora likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted