Antique? or Vintage? African Wood Carving

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Alesia42, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....This is a beautiful African wood carving that I found while Thrifting at the Antique store for not much at all...it's approx 9.75 in ht x 3 in wth....the wood is dark, rich and smooth to the touch....there is a piece of news paper on the bottom in Dutch, German, Norwegian with references to a museum showing of African Art from Tanzania or the Mozambique.... that's all I know....if someone knows how old this carving is...that would be great! rsz_1great_african_antique_gift_for_di_lon_013.jpg rsz_1great_african_antique_gift_for_di_lon_008.jpg rsz_1great_african_antique_gift_for_di_lon_007.jpg rsz_great_african_antique_gift_for_di_lon_003.jpg rsz_great_african_antique_gift_for_di_lon_010.jpg

Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the date is kinda written there.............

3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

4. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

I can make out a few words ...its similar to the english language....so that is probably the date of the article announcing a exhibit....but that may not be the date that the carving was actually created...so the date of the carving could be earlier than August 1990

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

....but vintage is fine...thats 30yrs...or so

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. komokwa

oh ,yes of course......except for the 1st word in the article.....
    which says Moderne,,,which means Modern.....as in Modern works of Art !!

but the label...could have nothing to do with the carving, which could be late 1800's ...and placed there to hide the true nature of the carving.......

anything is possible,,,...!

8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

9. komokwa

so the date of the carving could be earlier than August 1990.....

fer sure......

JUNE 1990....!!!!:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::meh:

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Maybe difficult to ever know without a date on the carving itself (Wonder it there’s a signature or something under that sticker,but probably not) Anyway so it may not be THAT old or even be proper vintage (who knows) But we know it has some age and was definitely not carved yesterday. It’s still a cool and intriguing carving that represents something and tells a story.:)

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  11. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Better to stick with facts at hand. One's imagination can take you almost anywhere. That said, there is a really good chance that the tree this piece is carved from was very old. So you could say it was made way before 1990 ;)

...sorry, couldn't help myself.

12. komokwa

that would make a gold ring.........any gold ring..........150,000 years old..

mmarco102 and Potteryplease like this.
  13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this might help, but I've lightened the first pic up so some details are easier to see.

1a.jpg

Boland, LauraGarnet02 and i need help like this.
  14. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

150,000............ ha, my wife has a prehistoric wedding ring. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  15. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

16. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Yes....I also saw the word modern....and I am aware of what that implies....I adore the sculpture/wood carving....I think its absolutely beautiful!.... its a gift for my son who will love it also...the fact that it is vintage is great!....and if its any older than that it would be a bonus....and if I want to know for certain I will have it appraised

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  17. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

well I don't speak German....but I figured out what it said by reading it several times....its nice to know that I read it correctly

18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for that..

wiscbirddog likes this.
  19. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Here's what got me started in reading German. :wacky:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 12.35.35 AM.png

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was probably brand new when it was sold, and it is not pretending to be anything other than a new carving.
    We would all love our finds to be antique or have an amazing history. But the truth is, most items are just what they are, attractive enough for us to buy them.

If you want an interesting background, it is Julius Nyerere's concept of Ujamaa, socio-political and economic cohesion starting at a village level, which is what this carving symbolizes. That is enough imo. That is why the proper name of these carvings is Ujamaa carving. Ujamaa means extended family or inter-relatedness in Swahili, but the carvings symbolize Nyerere's ideological vision.
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted